Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 07-02-2007 , 11:51 AM
Subscriber

glass vase

It's rare for a Maya site but here's a glass vase I modeled, rendered in Cinema 4D.
Most of work is done in Maya & thanks to Kurk Spitfire tutoral I learned a lot on modeling, texturing, rendering.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 07-02-2007 , 12:44 PM
Senior Software Developer
Nice...

It has a bit of a real, but cartoony feel to it. The cartoony bit refers to the plant.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 3 07-02-2007 , 02:44 PM
yeah good job - the vase looks great, just not sure about the plant - it looks kind of fake and plastic.

# 4 07-02-2007 , 02:51 PM
i agree with r@nsid. the plants do contribute a cartoony feel to the scene, but at the same time even with just a simple ramp shader like that, it works really well. nice job.

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 07-02-2007 , 04:17 PM
Subscriber
The plant I don't mind, guess that's personal preference, although it does detract somewhat from the realism.

The thing I noticed immediately, was that the water appears to have no refraction - i.e the plant stem doesn't appear to bend at the air/water 'interface', as it's called.

# 6 07-02-2007 , 04:24 PM
Senior Software Developer
It gives me a real Pixar vibe due to the plant. That cant be a bad thing

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 7 07-02-2007 , 10:33 PM
Subscriber

thanks!

Thanks! everyone for your comments, your right the plant looks cartoon, I wanted something quick & easy to add to the vase to complete the scene. For the vase I used refraction 1.5, HDRI. Trasparency doesn't cast shadows so I added a fresnel texture to cast some shadows based on the vase normals.

Does anyone think the stems seem tobe floating above the vase or is it just me ?

# 8 07-02-2007 , 10:46 PM
i didn't think there was any water in there to begin with... the part at the bottom should be the reflection of the round base the vase is standing on, as i see it.

Accept no substitutions.
# 9 23-02-2007 , 08:53 AM
Subscriber
chris is spot on! love the vase and that but the background colour dosnt really do it for me, i reckon it should be placed on a desk or some sort, well thats my opinion .. very nice though user added image