Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 27-01-2008 , 08:17 PM
Subscriber

need advice on my polycount and hypershade

ok, so i've been working on MAya since sometime mid november, and since then i've made two models along with learning almost all the tutorials from maya and watching a whole lot of video tutorials

and i shall attach my second model

i know naught of lighting, so at the moment i have 5 directional lights. one main light on an angle that casts shadows (ray trace shadows because depth map was all jaggered even on resoultions like 5000), and the other 4 are pointing in opposite direction with a real low light

ok, that was a little off topic, now onto the main concern.

because i'm new i went all out with the polygons and i saw somewhere on some forum that in productions there are polygon limits(?)
so i'm curious... in this model the polycount shows:
Verts: 50911
Edges: 101205
Faces: 50631
Tris: 98825
UVs: 70999

is this high or low? user added image

ok, so now with the hypershade....

as you can probably tell i went crazy with the bump mapping and bump mapped almost every surface i could see....
originally i was just going to have one material for each colour, because that way if i wanted to change the colour or bump maps i only needed to do it on one material....
but when i animate it the bumps stay static and appear to move.
so my solution was to make a new material for everything and parent the bump map to the object, which solved the problem of moving bumps...

but now i've ended up with millions of materials in the hypershade and if i change my mind about how bumpy i want it to be or the colour of the objects i have to do it to all objects....

this model is texture maping free

Attached Images

Last edited by Chirone; 27-01-2008 at 08:20 PM.
# 2 28-01-2008 , 10:36 AM
Subscriber
According to the numbers, your scene is at a polygon count of 98825 (TRIS: 98825). You don't really need to worry about polycount unless you are working towards a polygon limit or you are a game designer.
More polygons means more detail, but it also uses more memory. Better make each polygon count. (no pun intended):p

# 3 28-01-2008 , 02:46 PM
Subscriber
ah i see...
yes, i will try to make al polygons count!!
user added image