Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 27-06-2008 , 09:18 PM
Subscriber

mudbox

# 2 28-06-2008 , 06:34 AM
Level 32 pachyderm
sounds good, cos zbrush is alien to me

# 3 28-06-2008 , 07:16 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by elephantinc
sounds good, cos zbrush is alien to me

you and me bothuser added image

dont get me wrong zbrush is a very good program but the user interface needs to be strimlined and made easier to navigate,

thank god mudbox will soon allow texturing:bow:

# 4 28-06-2008 , 08:57 AM
Thats been on one the cards since it first launched as that was one of the main gripes with it.

Personally I think Z's interface is pretty good, its just that its a bit quirkey to do things as some parts to it dont work how you would think.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 5 28-06-2008 , 09:46 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
LOL here we go again! Software, schmoftware...

regardless of interface etc, any software that you havent or dont use regularly is always going to seem like a mountain to climb. Its about perceverence as well, not just getting the sniffles because the interface has an Alien menu set about it...eyes need to be opened to different things, albeit software, art styles....thats the only way you are going to be educated, dont pidgeon hole yourselves to one thing, broaden your horizons

at the end of the day its going to be down to your skills as an artist, a good or bad model can be made in any programme...

Jay

# 6 28-06-2008 , 01:54 PM
Right on Jay, persiverence is the key to anything, keep at it and get over shortcomings with menus and layout (hell you can customize it if you want...)

Although a rubbish porgramme wont help!

# 7 28-06-2008 , 01:58 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Jay
LOL here we go again! Software, schmoftware...

regardless of interface etc, any software that you havent or dont use regularly is always going to seem like a mountain to climb. Its about perceverence as well, not just getting the sniffles because the interface has an Alien menu set about it...eyes need to be opened to different things, albeit software, art styles....thats the only way you are going to be educated, dont pidgeon hole yourselves to one thing, broaden your horizons

at the end of the day its going to be down to your skills as an artist, a good or bad model can be made in any programme...

Jay

man jay,

thats really deep:bow:

i suppose you are right , not to pidgeon hole ones self,
it's like the more you know the more of an asset you'll be for a company

# 8 28-06-2008 , 03:28 PM
deep...not really...

but you got my point...

Jay

# 9 28-06-2008 , 06:23 PM
I think a great philosopher once said on this forum (Vlad) a poly's a poly, no matter the software, its what you do with it. (Vlad correct me if i'm wrong!)

# 10 29-06-2008 , 03:44 AM
yup that sounds like a Vlad quote to me...top man!

Jay

# 11 29-06-2008 , 10:18 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by gster123
I think a great philosopher once said on this forum (Vlad) a poly's a poly, no matter the software, its what you do with it. (Vlad correct me if i'm wrong!)

Some software makes it easier than others though

# 12 29-06-2008 , 12:16 PM
Senior Software Developer
Having used both Mudbox and now starting out with zBrush, I have to say zbrush is far superior in wot it does and wot it provides. I could go on all day about how wonderful and scary it is, but I may fall asleep.

I had the attitude of being scared of the UI in Z (dumb i know), but its pretty intuative and easy to pick up once you have gone over it. Mudbox is good dont get me wrong, but Zb wins out for me. A superb app with great control, Il be using in more and more when I get to grips with organic modelling.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 13 29-06-2008 , 01:20 PM

Originally posted by elephantinc
Some software makes it easier than others though

Its still what you do at the end of the day, theres no "make cool button" in Maya, XSI, Zbrush or whatever, the software doesnt do the work for you, you still need to do it, no software makes a bad model into a good one, all 3d softwares are pretty much the same, just that its different how they go about it.

# 14 29-06-2008 , 02:42 PM
what after all these years someone tells me NOW! theres no make cool button!! damn!!

Jay

# 15 29-06-2008 , 02:45 PM

Originally posted by Jay
what after all these years someone tells me NOW! theres no make cool button!! damn!!

Jay

Yeah, I though it might be next to the make human head option box, the one where you have the sliders for add a bit of orc, touch of Davey Jones, etc etc, Alas that aint there either!! LOL!