Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 24-06-2012 , 08:08 PM

Cap curved nurbs curve??

Is there any way to cap a nurbs that isnt flat against the plane (curved)?

# 2 24-06-2012 , 08:23 PM
Use the trim edge and then loft. Use the trim edge then revolve. ... There are lots of ways but the real question is what is the shape you are going for?

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 3 24-06-2012 , 08:31 PM
Theres the trim tool but I cannot find trim edge?

This is the model I am trying to cap (revolve wouldent be right for it):

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 24-06-2012 , 11:56 PM
ah thanks the image helps. It's hard to see but I assume it's curved in two directions? It almost looks planar from the screen shot.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675
# 5 25-06-2012 , 12:51 AM
This is a very interesting problem.

I got a solution using the bevel plus tool but this produces a polygon object and more importantly a polygon cap.

If you try to produce a NURBs object the tool attempt to make the cap using a trim and planar which will not work since the surface is not planar.

Here is what I was able to achieve using bevel plus

Attached Thumbnails

# 6 25-06-2012 , 12:57 AM
I thought of a NURBs solution for this! You could do it by breaking the cap up into a curve network (as shown below) and then create three birail Patches. Use this surface to loft the final object and then use the Round tool to put a nice round on all the corners.

EDIT: Do not attempt to attach the three patches you will not be able to maintain the shape.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by ctbram; 25-06-2012 at 02:31 AM.
# 7 25-06-2012 , 02:29 AM
Please note that it's not a good idea to attempt to attach the three patches. I added a note above.

Good luck doing the round though as Maya's Round and Fillet tools are pretty suck-tastic.

This is one of the reasons I don't do full on NURBs work in Maya anymore. I spent quite a bit of time and could not get a decent round within Maya. I had to export the model to Alias. I could also get the solution for this to work including the round within Rhino.

Autodesk should be ashamed at the state of Maya's NURBs tools. Seriously, they are just aweful!

Last edited by ctbram; 25-06-2012 at 03:44 AM.
# 8 25-06-2012 , 03:49 AM
So you can make the shape but then cannot round the corners. GG autodesk and Alias before them.

It's sad that maya was originally developed as a NURBs modeler! NURBs were the production standard for movies when Maya was originally introduced.

Now Maya has the WORST, SERIOUSLY THE WORST, NURBs tool set of any package! Even Max with PowerNURBs and Modo just introduced a Nurbs addon because they know that it's important to be able to share data with programs like solid works for product visualization but I guess that is not important to Autodesk!

For hard surface modeling NURBs are far easier and faster to use and produce accurate shapes that can then be retopologized for polygons rather then trying to model a hard surface by sculpting and fiddle endlessly with a rats nest of control edges to get touchy feely fillets and round rather then accurate ones.

Last edited by ctbram; 25-06-2012 at 03:53 AM.