Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 25-06-2006 , 01:50 PM

HELP! Building a 3D Pie Chart!

Hi guys,

I'm wondering what the best approach would be to build this image shown at the link below! I've tried a number of ways but haven't been too successful. First I tried making the entire object as a SubDiv and then cut it up but couldn't work out how to cut it up, then I tried Poly's and couldn't get a nice smooth surface like my SubDiv's. Then i thought about extruding a curve but again got stuck at how to make the individual peaces.

What i'm trying to build:
https://img88.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3dpie6pj.jpg

I'm fairly new to Maya so learning as much as I can - i'm running v6.5! If you don't mind giving a ferw pointers on how to do it that would be awesome or even a URL tutorial on the process. I understand 3D no worries, I have used Max for sometime but in Maya this simple operation is so much more difficult!

Any help would be really great - thank you.

Regards,
Nick.

# 2 25-06-2006 , 02:04 PM
Subscriber
i would make a cyclinder with suitable divisoins an extract it into the required amoutn of slices

fixes the holes by usin extrude edge an merge verts

then usin the split poly tool place edge loops areound all the corners so wen u convert to subd or smotth u will have nice round edges

remem the closer the edge loops to the edge the sharper it will be

Now at SMU doing BSc 3D Computer Animation so its hard to get on here
My wire render tut https://forum.simplymaya.com/showthre...threadid=20973