Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 61 30-04-2009 , 08:50 PM
Subscriber
Well got the head uv mapped as much as I am going to do. Using some mental ray shadders for some of the parts. Made a start on the base of the head. Having trouble picking a look of the text at the mo and finding a good look for the pipes but this images gives you an idea of were I want to go with this.

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/sship/spaceship6_1.jpg

# 62 30-04-2009 , 09:05 PM
Looking good Tweety, I especially like the lights!
I have a good image in my head of what you have planned from your image, bet you pull a surprise out of your hat by the end though...
I'll look forward to it!

# 63 30-04-2009 , 09:25 PM
Subscriber
i miss the days when the ships were still white user added image

nah, it's just that i'm now used to seeing it white the colour change got me by surprise :p (as did dango's)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 64 01-05-2009 , 06:44 AM
Nice going Tweety, not too sure about the colour, a massive earth battleship called oblivion, painted pink....

The textures that you've got on there (the paneling) would make a very nice basis for a bump map too add some extra "ping" detail to it.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 65 01-05-2009 , 07:51 AM
Subscriber
hey tweety, looking good. I agree with gster123 about the bumb mapping on the panels. As you are starting out with these textures i'm sure you know where you want to go with this, and have some idea about what's in your magic hat.

View my Portfolio at
https://whyte.cgsociety.org
# 66 01-05-2009 , 11:03 AM
Subscriber

# 67 01-05-2009 , 11:49 AM
If you have just the tiled part (without the grunge) on a layer in PS, just use that to pop the panles out a touch, I would leave the grunge part of the colour map as it wouldent be noticable on something that size but the paneling probably would.

# 68 02-05-2009 , 11:04 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Tweety

tone back the bump map. Its just making it look over dirty. go for subtle then put a nice spec map on the pick up the panels.

Jay

# 69 10-05-2009 , 07:40 PM
Subscriber
Well as some of you know already I redid the texturing on this part as I did not like were it was going. I`m so glad I did.

Progress has been slow of late due to real life stuff creeping up on me and I`m in hospital for a very small op on tues (really nothing major at all). I am so wondering if this will be done on time.

Here is a render of the head

I need to move on and get the rest of this monster done.

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/sship/spaceship7_1.jpg

This will also be my last challenge from awhile as I am starting my short film with a mate of mine called "Haz-Matt" but there will be more on that later.

Last edited by tweetytunes; 10-05-2009 at 08:29 PM.
# 70 10-05-2009 , 09:39 PM
Subscriber
nice to hear that the operation isn't for anything major

the new textures makes the head look like it's made of metal it looks better than the older magenta-like one

i have no idea what to colour mine...

Originally posted by tweetytunes
This will also be my last challenge from awhile as I am starting my short film with a mate of mine called "Haz-Matt" but there will be more on that later.

last challenge?? who is going to rival dango?? :p
nah, have fun with the short film

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 71 10-05-2009 , 09:48 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Chirone
last challenge?? who is going to rival dango??

who knows maybe arran will make a come back to the challenge arena.

# 72 10-05-2009 , 10:13 PM
Looking much better now Tweety, I'm liking the look and hoping you manage to get it all finished in time, also good luck with the op, hope it all goes well.

And I wouldn't call myself a rival, friendly competition at best...lol! Fun is the name of the game for me.
:p

# 73 11-05-2009 , 03:20 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by Dango77
And I wouldn't call myself a rival, friendly competition at best...lol! Fun is the name of the game for me.
:p

Well right now your my fav to win this and I think he meant it in the way that we both post alot of wip (which is a good thing). If this was not fun there is no way I would spend this much time in here doing this - I have a PS3 and a xbox 360 and about 12 games that I have not touch in weeks - all crying for some attention.

https://www.ravage3d.com/images/sship/spaceship7_2.jpg

Well here is the bomb parts of the ship done - there is a reflection in the top part which should not be there but cant be bothered to re render it (trust me its gone). A bit more colour in this part than the front but that`s because of what I have in my head for the gun area and engines. Some may have seen over on face-book that I lost 3 hours worth of this parts uv`s (errr) all because of a bum surface shadder so had to uv this bugger twice.

Will post some shots of the textures after as I think they look damn cool - well for me anyway.

# 74 11-05-2009 , 04:19 PM
The Maya Mountain
nice use of color!

# 75 11-05-2009 , 04:39 PM
Looking great Tweety.