Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 16 29-12-2007 , 02:12 AM
The term has varying degrees even within the US, so saying it is harmless for those in the US is also untrue.

But regardless of how offensive it may be, it still stands, if you are saying your work is, by your own standards, crap (even in the best interpretation, it is still derogatory, akin to worthless or garbage), then why should we bother to look at it? what is the point of chastising your work in a manner that, at least to some, may be offensive, and to others, still makes it unappealing? Especially in the finished work section (if your not happy with it, why display it as finished, ether keep working on it, or put it aside and come back to it (or not) at a later time. If your looking for advise/critiques, then it's not finished)

I find the best way (personally) to get constructive critism, without getting bad reviews, is to show your work, and mention there is something off about it that you can't seem to figure out (regardless of whether it's true or not, If there is something off i can't figure, I'll direct people to that spot), overall, this gets people offering helpful advise, noticing things you may have missed, but always in a polite manner.

# 17 29-12-2007 , 08:11 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I stand by my guns that some people can find it offensive
I wouldnt exactly say it in front of my mum or dad

BTW another word with diffrent meanings is spasticated, it means clumbsy in America but some pople can find it offensive in england
( i think its also a mediacal term)

# 18 29-12-2007 , 09:00 PM
Senior Software Developer
Callling someone a spastic in the UK is a major no no. Infact as far as Iknow its a no no in any english speaking culture. Except the US :headbang: :angery:

It basically means that you are calling that person retarded mentally or physically and therfore insulting all Mentally or physically impaired people.

A Wii game was ripped off of shelevs and recoded and rereleased because of that one word.

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 19 29-12-2007 , 09:07 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
yeah it was mario party
its funny because a magazine comented on a screen shot showing the word when it had not yet been released in England (it was a shot of the US version) saying they will of cause change this before its released here

# 20 29-12-2007 , 10:28 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
It's not that the word 'Crap' offends anyone, it's the fact that titling your threads like so, just makes the forums look bad.

My point overall exactly...I'll see about a sticky thread, cheers to all for the comments much appreciated.

There are lots of differences this side of the pond as opposed to the other, I find myself in the middle, (half english and some American you see) I probably swear like the chef Gordon Ramsey most days so Im not offended really by much.

Overall, The wording on the thread titles must be of a standard - period.

Cheers
Jay

# 21 29-12-2007 , 10:41 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
my dad finds it offense!
but i do appreciate that many peopel think they speak english
WHEN THEY DONT!!!!!!!!!!!

just joking