Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 03-09-2007 , 03:25 PM
Subscriber

BadTertle - Sept/Oct Challenge

Well, it seems I only get around to attempting a challenge when I have no school, so its been awhile.

I've been inspired by seeing bendingiscool's start. I'm going to go for a childs diorama made primarily out of cardboard. It will be well made, but falling apart, either because of age or maybe a ball or something fell on it.

Thats as far as I've gotten with the concept.

What I lack in skill I make up for with enthusiasm.
# 2 04-09-2007 , 05:53 AM
Subscriber
still not positive on the content, but I've gotten started on the materials. I photoshopped up a quick texture for cardboard.

Attached Thumbnails

# 3 04-09-2007 , 06:42 AM
The Maya Mountain
definitely looks like cardboard!

# 4 04-09-2007 , 09:51 AM
Subscriber
I tried just making a box to see how the texture would hold up, and had to change it to make it tileable. I think it holds up okay, but it looks too clean. I'm gonna have to figure out what to do about dirtying/oldifying it...(I'm a master of the english language user added image ) I need to also find out how to put decals on it and maybe layer on a paint texture on top of it as well.

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by badtertle; 04-09-2007 at 09:58 AM.
# 5 04-09-2007 , 09:56 AM
Subscriber
...i need to figure out how to use planes for most part and only have the depth where its needed at the edges and corners where it would be exposed.

Im probably the least efficient modeler ever...a cardboard box weighing in at 32324 tris lol

Heres an inside look at the box...I had to find a box in the garage to find out how to fold it user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by badtertle; 04-09-2007 at 10:07 AM.
# 6 16-09-2007 , 05:45 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
great box there mateuser added image

# 7 17-09-2007 , 03:06 AM
this sounds like a great idea - do you have any concept sketches?

the box is looking very good - very cardboardy... looking forward to seeing some updates! user added image