Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 02-07-2007 , 03:49 AM
Subscriber

How to texture a metal tray?

Hi!

I am having the toughest time trying to texture anything with metal especially a photorealistic metal tray.

Can anyone out there give me some really good suggestions?

Thanks.

# 2 02-07-2007 , 11:07 AM
Subscriber

hey

The trick to metal is that they are shiney so make sure you have the reflectivity set high on your material and make sure you have something to reflect you can map an invironment to your reflextion if you need to! With your color I like to map a photo of a flat piece of metal to it color but if not you can just adjust the color to look like whatever metal you are trying to simulate! You can also go online and find already set up materials for almost anything! Hope this helped you if not ask some more questions and ill try to answer them when i can!! Good luck!!!

CDV
# 3 06-07-2007 , 04:33 AM
Subscriber
I still can't make a metal tray. I used a piece of metal texture and plug it into the color and have reflection all the up.

With a blinn, I get clean grayish color
With a phong, I get all black with a high reflection.

Anyone has a suggestion on how to make one?

# 4 08-07-2007 , 04:40 PM
Subscriber

hey

Hey Getting a shiney metal surface depends on a lot of things post a picture of the scene you are working on and I may be a little more help to you! If its just a single object it will need something to reflect! If i have time i will try to make up a reflective material for you to see as an example! You should also look on line for Maya shaders if they are not just right atleast they may be able to send you in the right direction!

CDV
# 5 20-07-2007 , 04:15 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
when it comes to metal you probably want to texture and/or use the specular color(tab) and don't use the normal color tab(much).
Maybe if you would post an image of what you are trying to create other people can help you more in depth

good luckuser added image