Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 13-03-2008 , 04:32 AM

How to split border edges?

Hallo guys!

This is my first post at the forum, so don't be so sticky user added image

I have built a house in Maya, and have created a foundation to my house. The tricky part is when I've created a doorway. The edges at the top of the foundation can't be deleted or splitted, becuase the are border edges. How should I do to spit these lines for my doorway?

/Peter

# 2 13-03-2008 , 04:41 AM
what's the foundation made of?

if you're dealing with border edges i'm assuming you can just extrude up and delete the polygon you want the door at, and just rebuild other polys to create the door frame.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 13-03-2008 , 04:49 AM
I have built the foundation by extrude it from the house, which is an polygon cube from the beginning. I hope that i have defined the problem enough. Because when i define the doorway by split up new lines, it will not include this top face of the foundation either. So i can't do any new lines, to get a new face at it. Or try to simply delete it... So sad, my whole work have been stopped because of it..

/P

# 4 13-03-2008 , 04:56 AM
as long as you have two non-adjacent vertices, you can split the polygon.

so if you have a polygon you can always split it...

are you using the split polygon tool?

you can also look at the ummm (oh hell whatever is the opposite of merge vertices tool) break vertex tool? i can't remember what it's called, but it takes a vertex that is at the intersection of different polygons and splits it into different vertices, one for each polygon it was originally connected to.

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 13-03-2008 , 04:59 AM
if i had maya and PS here and could upload to photobucket (which is a blocked site <sigh>) i'd take screencaptures to show you what i mean, and what i'm talking about when it comes to splitting polygons, because you can go from any edge to any adjacent edge and split the polygon (as long as it's not the same edge you're starting on).

either that or i don't understand what you're problem is and i'm rambling on about something unrelated like a moron. :blush:

Accept no substitutions.
# 6 13-03-2008 , 05:08 AM
do you got msn messanger or something? Send PM to me if you got it.. It would be nice to discuss further with you.

# 7 13-03-2008 , 05:10 AM
this thread's fine to discuss the problem, that way others can throw in their 2 cents if they recognize the problem and know the solution.

Accept no substitutions.
# 8 13-03-2008 , 05:16 AM
Ok... I will try some different methods and see what I can acomplish. Thanks bye the way.

# 9 13-03-2008 , 08:38 AM
Subscriber
you can always post your scene and we can take a look at it and show you how it is done