Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 1 24-12-2008 , 09:02 AM

Animated Short

I have the idea for an animated short in my head so step 1 for me is to research what step 1 should be. I will do this by using the famous google search.

This WIP will be from concept to completed project. I'm a 3d modeler by passion but I know I need to have a knowledge of all areas so that is the reason for this personal project.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 2 24-12-2008 , 04:19 PM
Subscriber
The first stage for any project is PLANNING.

For me step one would be to create a Script or Storyboard. Figure out who the actors are, what roles they play, what props (table, trees, car, house) will be in each scene. You will have to essentially think like a director. Find out if the short will be with voice dialog or with subtitles.
With the completed script, create scenes and plan out what is the best position of the camera to capture the idea in the scene.
Its all about planning.

# 3 24-12-2008 , 04:58 PM
Thanks RockyMills_01, you are right on. I did some googling last night and found a few websites that agree with you. So I'll start putting the script on paper and defining the other elements you mentioned like props, roles, actors and such. First, I'll get a notebook so I can stay organized and keep everything together.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 25-12-2008 , 06:00 AM
Ok, change of plans. I'm deciding to go with a less favorite idea of mine but still good I think. More of a test project. If everything goes well, then I'll tackle my better ideas. I've been researching how to write the script and a couple of things I have to define are the concept and the characters.

Genre: Comedy (3 minutes)

Concept: A spray bottle of All Purpose cleaner enjoys himself as he effortlessly eliminates stains around the kitchen. That is, until he discovers a stain on his back. But figuring out how to get rid of the stain proves to be more challenging than he anticipated.

Characters: The bottle of All Purpose cleaner is proud, confident and graceful in his work. He has an "I can do anything" attitude as he dances around looking for every opportunity to put his skills to use". There is also a generic bottle of cleaner that is used to failure but yet very content with himself. He is passive, taking life as it comes.

It shouldn't take me long to finish the first draft for my script. So I'll post it soon.

C&C are always welcome

Exceed Expectations!
# 5 25-12-2008 , 06:49 PM
Script, first draft.

Page 1

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 6 25-12-2008 , 06:50 PM
Script, Page 2

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 7 25-12-2008 , 06:53 PM
Script, Page 3 (final page)

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 8 25-12-2008 , 08:16 PM
The Nurb Herd
pm me if you want anyone to help with the models. That is, if you want to to make it a SM team type thing... (i'm just inbetween things and have some spare time.)

(but... you may not like my modeling, in which case don't tell me and i won't get upset :p )

# 9 25-12-2008 , 08:38 PM
Subscriber
Good work there on the Script. I like the idea. I got a clear sense of the personality of both characters through your writing.
I can't wait to see it all come together.:attn:
* If you can, post some sketches of the two characters I would live to see them.

Keep it up.

# 10 25-12-2008 , 08:41 PM
Thanks for the generous offer hammer. I'll be doing this project on my own as a learning experience.

The biggest challenges will be bringing the bottles to life and creating the water effects. I expect it to be VERY VERY difficult. I want it to be really smooth and believable, not choppy or generic looking and I won't be satisfied unless it looks just right. And it has to create certain emotions in the viewing audience or I won't consider it finished so the story is just as important to me as the visual aspect if not more so. This project will take alot of trial and error but I'm in it for the long haul.

With that being said...I do indeed need all the help I can get but only in the form of advice, suggestions, opinions, instruction, etc. I'm going for the highest quality work here so any level of C&C is good.

Exceed Expectations!
# 11 25-12-2008 , 08:45 PM
Thanks Rocky, I'll post concept sketches as soon as I make some.

Should I start working on concept sketches now or wait till after the script is finalized? Or should I wait till after I create and finalize the storyboard which I plan on doing after the script is done? Anyone have any thoughts?

Exceed Expectations!
# 12 25-12-2008 , 08:59 PM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by Perfecto
Thanks for the generous offer hammer. I'll be doing this project on my own as a learning experience.

no probs, perhaps an SM team project would be cool tho. Good luck with your project.

what comp package do you use?

# 13 25-12-2008 , 09:13 PM
All I have is Maya 8.5 unlimited and Gimp to work with. I also have Autodesk combusion 4 which came with my Maya but I've never used it before. Sounds like I need to read the manual and find out eh? I've never done any compositing before and I just learned how to render in layers a week ago.

Exceed Expectations!
# 14 26-12-2008 , 03:10 PM
Subscriber
I say yes, finalize the script first then concentrate on the other stuff.

If your doing this thing alone then you better accept that you are in for a ton and a half of work ahead of you. but that being said, If you are persistent and keep at it, you are going to finish before you know it.

I am currently doing my own Short as well. I am a beginner but I do have a sense of direction.
I will check in from time to time to assist you, and do my best to give you good advice.

**I have always wanted to learn how to render in layers properly. Where did you learn it?

# 15 26-12-2008 , 04:24 PM

Exceed Expectations!