Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 04-02-2004 , 01:43 AM
Subscriber

expression for oscilating movement

Hello

I need an expression to make a ball go up and when it reaches a certain height, it kinda oscillates, as with those popping toy clowns coming out of boxes attached to a spring...

I have tried several approaches but can't get this to work!
user added image

I'll try to explain it more clearly: I have a ball. I want it to go UP (y axis only) in a accelerated movement, which begins really fast (like an explosion) and slows down abruptely at the end
(as if it was attached to a spring); then it goes down a little, then up again, down again, etc, with its speed going down until it stops (or keeps oscillating real slowly)....

Maybe it is too complicated, and I should try another way to do this? user added image

Please heeeeelp
thanx a lot
Daniel

<font size="1"><strong>"The hardest thing to see is what is in front of your eyes"
<em>Goethe</em></strong></font>
# 2 04-02-2004 , 03:15 AM
Keyframing gives you the best control. You could do it with an expression too but is it really worth it?

Here's one possibility:
Code:
int $iStartOsc = 6;
float $fHeightMult = 3;
int $iStopFrame = 75;

if(frame < $iStartOsc)
	nurbsSphere1.translateY = frame * $fHeightMult;
else
	if(frame < $iStopFrame)
		nurbsSphere1.translateY += $fHeightMult * sin(frame - $iStartOsc) * (($iStopFrame - frame) / $iStopFrame);

Kari
- My Website
- My IMDB

Do a lot, Fail a lot and Learn a lot!
# 3 04-02-2004 , 03:21 AM
The Maya Mountain
you might could use a dynamic constraint with some gravity and initial movement and such. Check out the Dynamic Constraints tutorial we've got here for more info.

# 4 04-02-2004 , 11:07 AM
Subscriber
Thanx a lot...

I've tried then to use a spring constraint, played around with its damping and stiffness attributes, and got pretty much the movement I needed.

As I need lots of balls doing exactly the same movement, I'll try to duplicate them and to use diferent keys to control the activation of the constraint.

I'll try to implement the code, anyway. See what works best user added image

Daniel user added image

<font size="1"><strong>"The hardest thing to see is what is in front of your eyes"
<em>Goethe</em></strong></font>