Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 23-02-2012 , 09:31 PM

Multiple obijects same uv map ?

Hello, I need help,
I'm creating rail track for game, and now when I came to texturing I have problem, I need to set same texture for same meshes but in different positions. is it possible ?
by doing automate mapping on one model it is ok, but when it comes to models that are in different angle or location texture moves. I know that if i had set uV map before duplicating those meshes it would be ok now, but rail track is already created and it took weeks with my minimal knowledge. Recreating it, would be mess.

Pictures explain better.

user added image
user added image
user added image
user added image

# 2 23-02-2012 , 10:25 PM
EduSciVis-er
Change the attributes in the place2Dtexture node for the object. I think it's a separate node for each mesh that has a material applied. I might be off track though. Haha, see what I did there.

# 3 24-02-2012 , 12:31 AM
If the uv's are messing up your texture, try the following.

Select the object that is good, then shift-select object you want to make good. (might have to delete history on the objects first). Then look for the "Transfer Attributes" option, probably will be under Mesh Menu. Change sample space from world to component (like in the image below). Then click 'apply' or 'transfer'. That should transfer then uv's over to the new object (second object you selected) and make the texture look exactly like the first object. Then do as stwert mentioned to move the texture to get the desired look.

You might have to delete history on the objects before you transfer attributes for it to work. Also, as long as you havn't froze transformations on the objects, you shouldn't have any problems.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 4 24-02-2012 , 09:04 AM
The thin red line
If you have loads to do there is a plugin at creative cow called Poly_UV_Transfer easy to use................dave

# 5 24-02-2012 , 11:06 AM

# 6 25-03-2012 , 06:31 AM
user added image I had the same issue since yesterday... I had problem on transferring combined mesh attributes into other combined meshes. it didnt work. i had to go through my saves, find that older mesh which wasnt frozen in transformations, remap the whole thing... and said, ok now its time to check dave's sherman project and some uv+texture experiences. pity i saw he also mentioned that Script earlier ! user added image a day wasted... but as my math teacher from high school said, "don't be sad, even if the exam is cancelled, the practice you made is worth it. iformation isn't going anywhere" user added image

# 7 25-03-2012 , 12:58 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
The problem with uv transfers is that when you do them they can mess for various reasons. Regardless of being combined or not.

The first one is usually if you have mirrored an object and frozen the transforms, the vertex order will get reordered despite having the same amount.

Also objects in a group can get messed up.

The maya transfer attr's is good but the problem of connections and deleting history is a complete ballache...plus you cant map multiple objects in one go.

I havent seen daveraves script at all so Im hoping it helps you out. I will however be posting a useful UV script on the site soon that copies across the board and deletes history in one fell swoop.

Jay

# 8 23-05-2013 , 02:00 AM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
Hey Jay, did you ever end up posting this script? I know this is an old post, but I am having an issue with transfer attributes, and came across this while trying to figure out the issue.

# 9 23-05-2013 , 05:52 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
no I didnt, I havent been about much, work is super busy....

will post when I get time

_J