Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 1 30-06-2013 , 03:55 PM

Envelope

Hi,
I dont wish to start a new thread if one is already open but I cant see one on this.

I have created a repeatable coridoor section, so when I mirror it it will create the full width of the coridoor and then when I mirror it the other way it will increse the length the number of times I mirror it, unfortunatly because its not an enclosed model (Basicly a styalised plane) when I try to bake the high res vershion its envelope is trying to bake outwards (as a coriddor is an indoor structure I need it to bake inwards) I cant use negative numbers on the envelope though and I cant simply use 0.0 because it wont cover the object.

& again is their a way to upload in image from a folder rarther than URL?

Thanks all.

# 2 30-06-2013 , 09:33 PM
EduSciVis-er
Not sure about the envelope, but if you click Go Advanced under the reply box, then hit the paper clip (or scroll down to manage attachments under additional options) you can upload images.

# 3 01-07-2013 , 08:20 AM
Ok, here is the print screen of one side of my repeatable coridoor. The envelope is outside the mesh and needs to be on the inside however I cant use negative numbers for the envelope distance.

Thanks again.

Attached Images
# 4 01-07-2013 , 01:33 PM
Subscriber

Envelope

Have you tried to edit the envelope's search vertices to be onthe inside of the mesh.

Not sure what it is you are trying to do with the transfer map.

Can you explain what it is your trying to do?

# 5 02-07-2013 , 09:26 AM
Im trying to bake the normals from the high poly mesh to the low poly mesh.
how would I make the search vertices be on the inside?

# 6 02-07-2013 , 11:35 AM
Subscriber
You should be able to just move your envelope verts to inside the geo.

And the envelope should be able to find them. At least according to the help files.

Let me know if you still have trouble.

You can always post your question on The Area. This is Autodesk's web site for answering customers questions and tech issues.

Gordon Bradley or Tim Fowler should be able to answer you there.

This is monitored daily by all the staff on the Maya team.

Cheers

# 7 02-07-2013 , 03:26 PM
kk thanks.

Yea still haveing an issue, I dident realise I could select the envelope as en editable, so I have managed to move it inside but when I bake the normal map seems to be plain or its just not bakeing across properly. Their apears to be no affect other than that it seems to apply another material (im assumeing the material should be the baked high poly).

abd what do you mean by "The area"?

EDIT: ah ok I looked where it saved the normal and it worked but its come out with the orange pigment and its not showing on the mesh.

Attached Images

Last edited by BlenderCube; 02-07-2013 at 03:34 PM.
# 8 02-07-2013 , 04:16 PM
Subscriber
The Area...was specifically designed by Autodesk to handle user issues and you get right to the source .

All QA as well as the develepors have to monitor the questions and answer them as quickly as possible to help the online user community.

It affects their bonuses!!

I had to do this for five years so I know you will get quick turn arounds there.

It's just another resource for information.

Now does your normal map work?

# 9 02-07-2013 , 05:31 PM
Its working when I apply it after bakeing however, it should not come out with the orange pigment and its not comeing out very good quaility, I know I must be doing something wrong still.

I have baked normals before (in other softwares) but I never found out the reason behind the orange pigment.

# 10 02-07-2013 , 07:20 PM
Subscriber
Try and reverse your normals, after you have moved your verts, it's a quick thing to try.

The oranage pigment maybe a warning signal

# 11 03-07-2013 , 02:56 PM
Ok, thanks, that seemed to work but im not sure how, I reversed the normals, dident work, reversed them again to put them back and it seemed to work, it also allowed me to scale the envelope inwards. So now my normal is the right colour but its distorted, to me it looks like its bakeing to the correct uv layout and then bakeing again ontop but incorectly.

Attached Images

Last edited by BlenderCube; 03-07-2013 at 02:59 PM.