Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 25-11-2016 , 05:13 PM

UV Map Distortion :(

Hey there,

I am at a stage now where I am trying to add UV's to my model, I go into the UV editor and click on my model, but the template is heavily distorted? user added image

I have attached a screenshot, many thanks!!

# 2 28-11-2016 , 05:33 AM
Lifetime Member
Hi Mate, I can't see any attachments... so not really sure what your problem is for sure. My suggestion would be you may have your model in smooth mode (3) which applys a distortion to the uvs? If so switch back to unsmoothed (1) mode and layout your uvs.

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 3 29-11-2016 , 04:18 PM
Ah sorry dude, didn't realise it hadn't uploaded. Hmm hopefully it uploads this time around! And thanks for the tip!! tried it and its still distorted :/

Attached Thumbnails
# 4 30-11-2016 , 03:41 AM
Lifetime Member
Have you tried doing an automatic map for your UVs? They'll always appear messed up and weird when you first open the editor (if you haven't done any mapping) so if you do an automatic mapping (polygons>CreateUVs>Automatic Mapping) this will give you a good start and you can then cut and sew the pieces together to start making a layout that makes sense and is workable.
(I'm still using Maya 2015 so it might be slightly different for you in 2016)

Cheers, the Yeti.
# 5 30-11-2016 , 05:41 PM
thanks dude! nope haven't tried automatic mapping yet, i'll give that a try now!

just a little question: why do you think it looks distorted/broken in the editor? if i create a cube in the same scene, the UV editor maps that perfectly fine. could it be just that i am new and what i have modelled therefore isn't clean

but yep, thanks yeti!

# 6 30-11-2016 , 10:55 PM
Lifetime Member
That's the 'weird' thing with the UV editor. It starts out clean when you create a base piece of geometry but the more you model and make changes the more it becomes a giant mess in the UV editor - there's no real rhyme or reason (that I know of anyway) of why it puts the verts where it does when you add them to your model so it just turns into spaghetti and you have to use mapping to get a workable UV layout.

Cheers, the Yeti.