Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 12-05-2006 , 10:51 PM

Sub-divs mesh on top of poly?

Well, this is how it is... It seems that I have part of a character, merged the verteses, etc., but after having sub-dived it (to make sure I merged everthing) and presed *undo* there is a subdiv-looking mesh right on top of the poly (shaded) shape. When I delete either, the other is deleted. It doesn't *seem* to be doing anything, but the extra mesh is rather confusing.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it much.
Thanks all!

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 17-05-2006 , 03:07 PM
Subscriber
i presume that what you mean is that you've converted to poly from sub-D. If i am correct, you have a poly framework attached to your poly object that you cannot identify.

Asumming that this is the nature of your question, the framework is caused by converting a sub-d to polygon BEFORE you go to standard sub-d mode. if you convert to poly while the sub-d is still in polygon edit mode, a poly shell is created that will be attached to the newly formed poly object.

When you convert your sub-d to polygons make sure that you are in the 'standard' mode for sub-d.

<html><font size=2>
<font color="blue">
And after calming me down with some orange slices and some fetal spooning,
E.T. revealed to me his singular purpose.

--TOOL, 10,000 Days---

</font></pre>
</html>
# 3 17-05-2006 , 06:38 PM
I'll try that, thank you!

# 4 17-05-2006 , 08:51 PM
wow Iron tick, you just saved me a lot of pain (happened to me, lets say, more than I can count times)

Live the life you love, love the life you live