Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 15-08-2007 , 09:42 PM

Vewport issues - items dissapear

Hi alll,

solve one problem and another appears. As you can see in my image, when I zoom out, my objects and grid dissapear. It's the same in all viewports - thing is, if I zoom in too much they dissapear too. It's as if their's a sweet spot - to much in or out from it and it goes.

Can anyone help?

confused,

gubar

# 2 15-08-2007 , 09:43 PM
Forgot image:

Attached Images
# 3 15-08-2007 , 10:08 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
That has to do with clipping planes if i'm not mistaken that is, select the camera in question and search the attributes(attribute editor) for near and far clipping planes the number is i believe 1000.00 as a default add a 0 before the comma and you'll see an improvement(so 10000.00).
good luck

# 4 15-08-2007 , 10:22 PM
Hi,

just tried what you said, and also read up about it on the help files - it sounds like the correct thing.

Thing is, it's made no difference at all. Added the extra zeros in preferences > cameras > clipping (not in the attribute editor) still the same.

Anything else it could be?

thanks,

gubar

# 5 15-08-2007 , 10:31 PM
Not in preferences.

In the viewport's menu go to:

view > camera attribute editor

If you look at the camera attributes, you should see a field for "far clip plane." Set it to 10000.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 6 15-08-2007 , 10:44 PM
Hi and thanks Nitro,

Ok I've tried that. It works a treat for the perspective view - I can now zoom further out and still see my objects. For some reason though it is not working for either side or front view. After experimenting, it seems that no value greater than 600 makes a difference in either of these views. If I zoom out, I can still see my head object, but the grid and image plane still dissapear.

Kind of at the end of my tether now What else could it possibly be?

cheers,

gubar.

Edit: After more experimentation, it can display the planes as wireframes, but they disappear if they are turned to smooth shade. The grid still goes too.

Last edited by gubar; 15-08-2007 at 10:50 PM.
# 7 15-08-2007 , 11:47 PM
Figured it out - by decreasing the subdivision levels of the grid, I can increase the depth displayed by the cameras.

Had no idea that there was a relationship there, I guess it be related to more subdivisions = better for in close, detailed modelling.

cheers,

gubar.

# 8 15-08-2007 , 11:54 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
- turn of the grid, sometimes this helps
-select the object in question and then go to on of the orthographic views sometimes maya zooms way out for no apparent reason(to my knowledge)
- you can make 2 polyplanes, rotate them so that they match up with the front and side view and assign the refferrence images as textures on the colorchannel.
This way you don't have to leave the perspective view ever again because in the upper right corner there's a thingy that points to the 3 axis if you click on 1 of the axis it will go to that orthographic view.
And delete the imageplanes in the hypershade
Good luck