Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 04-01-2016 , 06:56 PM

Hard edge problems

Hi guys,
Everytime i cut out shape on models that are round or rounded i get some strange hard shapes and the model is not smooth anymore!
It really talking a lot of time and I don't understand how.
I can use booleans or i can do it manually but it keeps giving me these strange hard parts.

Now what i show in this picture if of course with n-gons but it doesn't matter if I fix that or not those hard lines that seem to be there for no reason keep staying there.

How does that happen? Again this happends with and WITHOUT cutting out with booleans.

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 04-01-2016 , 08:52 PM
Subscriber
I would guess that it is also because of the double/triple lines crossing through the circles.
The geometry develops n-gons which will always give problems.
What are you trying to achieve? Is there a way to make the object in a "cleaner" way?

# 3 05-01-2016 , 09:24 PM
Events Team at Wargaming.net
At work now, but had a second to throw an example together. I would suggest cleaning up your edges, something like the attached image. Then after you have all quads and tri's you can try softening edges.

P.S: Ignore the second picture, I just copy and pasted yours and did a paint over in paint real quick.

Attached Thumbnails