Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 11-02-2015 , 09:18 PM

HumanIK, adjust control axes?

Hello, does there exist a way of how to adjust on the fk control rig the rotation axes?

The trouble I have is with the finger joints. When I am skin weighting I adjust the axes of the finger joints in the base skeleton to my preference and they work fine. But when I apply the control rig, it seems to make no effort to align to the control axes I specified and so if I animate the fingers, their rotation looks unnatural.

Does there exist a way around this issue?

# 2 01-03-2015 , 06:46 PM
Wow, 150 views and no replies, I'm going to take that to mean that there is no way to do that.

Kind of a shame, judging by the view count, that probably means that there are a lot of people who are interested in such a capability. I don't know why Autodesk would leave in place such an oversight.

# 3 27-10-2015 , 10:53 PM
Wow 575 views and no one has any comment?

I mean, since I first posted this thread I've basically been working around this issue, even though it does represent quite a bit of inefficient additional work, but I just really can't wrap my head around the fact that other people, big productions, that they just deal with such an inefficient setup.

I've even gone to other forums and asked about this and nobody ever gave me a solution or an explanation as to why it's like this. It's a shame, because the ik handles for the fingers would be way more useful if I could get the fingers to bend the way they're supposed to without monkeying around with the ik handles since then.

I'm genuinely curious, how do other people doing hand and finger animating using humanik work around this issue?