Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 10-12-2015 , 11:24 PM

ManMelter 3600ZX Rifle

user added image

A personal project of mine but I'm not sure what to change so I've labelled this as WIP and I can get some feedback, whilst I'm doing my uni projects.

# 2 11-12-2015 , 08:53 AM
Subscriber
personally i would render not with a black background as its a little hard to see some of the detail underneath. I would also address the butt of the gun as it looks a little strange being curved.

Looks nice though, nice use of colour user added image

Myth

Custom built W10 Pro 64 bit, Hazwell Intel 5820, Asus X99 MOBO, 32 GB DDR4 Ram, EVGA nVidia GTX1080 Founders Edition, 512GB SSD Primary HDD, 16TB Storage, 27" Samsung 4k Display. Wacom 27QHD, Oculus Rift CV1
# 3 11-12-2015 , 04:32 PM
EduSciVis-er
Do render with a black background (don't change the env color) but then save it out as a png or tiff and place it over another color in Photoshop or similar, so that we can see the details as myth suggested. The wire in the middle isn't working for me. Try routing it differently, maybe with intermediate fasteners so it's not just hanging off the side.

# 4 12-12-2015 , 12:23 AM

personally i would render not with a black background as its a little hard to see some of the detail underneath. I would also address the butt of the gun as it looks a little strange being curved.

Looks nice though, nice use of colour user added image

Myth

Yeah now that you mention it, it does kind of ruin the presentation. The rifle is actually an "upgrade" I designed to the pistol which I modelled and referenced from this with a few tweaks of my own

user added image

So I kept some elements from the reference such as the curved handle, but as you point out it probably isn't practical.

This the first of the "family" of Manmelter weapons which could do with some more work I think, and then I went on and designed that rifle.
user added image

Do render with a black background (don't change the env color) but then save it out as a png or tiff and place it over another color in Photoshop or similar, so that we can see the details as myth suggested. The wire in the middle isn't working for me. Try routing it differently, maybe with intermediate fasteners so it's not just hanging off the side.

I'll definitely look into that, I guess overall i should have thought more about practically with the weapon and its use.