Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 16-10-2011 , 12:05 PM

Parented Objects do weird scale things

Hey guys,
i'm pretty new to the 3d world and now i have a problem with parent objects:
I have succesfully parented one object to another and when i move the parent the child moves whith it.
But when i rotate the parent object both, the parent and the child do weird things to the scale :/
I hope or i almost know you can help me because this seems like a very basic problem.
Thanks in advance.

# 2 16-10-2011 , 12:14 PM
The Nurb Herd
un-group your objects.

# 3 16-10-2011 , 12:17 PM
i did that already worked for most objects but somehow not for all user added image

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time
https://vimeo.com/yannickstark
# 4 16-10-2011 , 01:03 PM
Super Moderator
You may want to consider deleting history as well, things can get messy after a while.

- Genny
# 5 16-10-2011 , 01:37 PM
still the same user added image

# 6 16-10-2011 , 02:12 PM
well now i've simply rebuild the object and parented it again and it worked..but i'm pretty sure there is a better solution for example when you have more complex objects :/

# 7 16-10-2011 , 04:16 PM
Senior Software Developer
If you are modelling 2 objects that will parent child together makes sure both of them have there local orientations correct and delete all history before combining.

Also once parented make sure the parented objects global position is centred and zeroed and try again.

Forgive me if I wrong but it has been a long time since I did this.

publicFunction (Chris) - Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chris (formerly R@nSiD)
Twitter
When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will truely know peace - Jimmy Hendrix
Winner SM VFX Challenge 1
3rd Place SM SteamPunk Challenge (May 2007)
# 8 16-10-2011 , 04:32 PM
The Nurb Herd

well now i've simply rebuild the object and parented it again and it worked..but i'm pretty sure there is a better solution for example when you have more complex objects :/

i imagine you just rebuilt it better.

# 9 16-10-2011 , 06:29 PM
You must have had some kind of double transform going on in your original group. That is the only way you would get the objects within a DAG (Directed Acyclic Graph) group to appear to behave independently when you perform a transformation on the group.

I was going to make a video but I found this one and he does an excellent job of explaining double transforms and how to deal with them. I hope it helps.

https://lesterbanks.com/2011/09/deali...-when-rigging/

Generally freezing transforms and deleting history on the group will eliminate all inputs to the geometry except the parent group inputs and thus will fix the double transforms. But as the video above shows this will not be good if you want the inputs to stay associated with the geometry that is part of a DAG group. The two key things to take away from the video is 1. you can break the input from the parent DAG group on an object by unchecking the inherits transforms checkbox in the objects attribute node and 2. you can override the translate and rotate transforms of parent DAG group on an object by creating a parent constraint.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Sir Isaac Newton, 1675

Last edited by ctbram; 16-10-2011 at 06:43 PM.