Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 106 05-10-2005 , 02:14 PM
Hey legolas, thanks to drop in my thread.
And you shouldn't said something like what you you did, taking judge before the end.
As I CAN SEE, you are much more advanced in the project.
This mean also you have more time to fix some details in your project.
Another thing is the Mike, also some Mods use give more advice in the last competition I was before.
That make me belive that they probably too buzy or they are watching with more precisely eyes, looking all your moviment.
Any move could be your plus on mines.
So from what I saw in your project you have a great character, but to me do not looks finished yet, and your scene it's really nice, too nice to be a waist in the judge.
This comeptition it's about character, and from what Mike had said the envoriment will not be taken to the final judge.
My opinion, your model could get better.
If was my character I would take sometime to correct vertex shadow or even go to texture stage and make some more details in the texture, and probably separating the smooth areas for a better look.
https://www.planetquake.com/polycount...utorials.shtml
check this and see for cloth and fabric tutorial.
maybe can helps you in some way.
looking foward for you update.

# 107 05-10-2005 , 02:28 PM
yeah, I know you are right... this is a waste of time, background it's not important...
I must focus in the character so i'll just give up this, because anyway im having some problems to get a good outdoor ilumination... thats why i havent post anything in some days

thx a lot for this comment

Now! Focus in character design! That's my way of the ninja!

# 108 05-10-2005 , 07:40 PM
19 year Veteran
Your not going to get proper outdor illumination with Maya's software renderer without alot of light linking and shadow tweaking. You need to use Mental Ray or it's equivalent to achieve accurate outdoor lighting. As far a character work is concerned, I think it looks fantastic , A++ . I'm not seeing the vertex shadowing mentioned. Mabe someone can point that out. I have no clue as to how more texturing can bing the model out better, and if you smooth out the seperated parts ( assuming that means more model work ) you going to add more polys to your model and your going to have to re-map your uv's. Anyhow, it's your project, and you do what you want. I still think it looks like a challlenge winner to me.
user added image

# 109 06-10-2005 , 12:22 AM
PLEASE!!!Leagolas.
Forgive me my mistake, I mean smooth not to smooth the polygon.
Yes as THX1138 said it`s not the point to loose your rigging and uv maps.
I mean smoothing the `seperated`normal, by averege normals tool or soften /harden tool.
I`m sorry for my fault of explanation.
and thanks THX1138 to point me out this.

I`m posting a image, not so clean image but just to not have more understanding mistake.

Please do not smooth your polygon, like I said your model looks good but it`s just the small things that I belive you could retouch.

Those tools you can make after you had rigged your model, but my advice is to delete not skin attribute each time you change it, I have problem with this some time, when I put too many attribute on top of skinning, breaks my skin weights.
I don`t know why but happens.

Attached Thumbnails
# 110 06-10-2005 , 12:59 AM
19 year Veteran
I believe he did soften the normals a while back. There was discussion early on in the thread ( pages 3 and 4 ) where Aleinscience wanted a soften/harden normals view .

Thanks Stormgetto for pointing out the normal shadowing with the pic. user added image

# 111 06-10-2005 , 02:50 PM
well I had already though that I couldn't change character's geometry because it would cause problems with uvs and all the rigging stuff, so I will focus in texturing and shaders.

Stormgetto and thx1138: thanks a lot for your support and help, this really encourages me to do my best.

ive been working in the jeans texture, i wore jeans today (user added image) so i can have a clear refference. I'm adding some wrinkles and this is the result:

Attached Thumbnails
# 112 07-10-2005 , 07:17 AM
Wow.
Just ...Wow.:attn:
This is THE TEXTURE.
Would be nice if you could show us the image of the texture.
And would be nice if you could show as some wire as well.
Also from my point of view the model could get more close look from the games view if you could attach a image from maya screen, with is real time rendering.(If you want to you can even apply high quality rendering )

Too many request I know but it is because it`s getting really good.

# 113 07-10-2005 , 05:04 PM
Great work Legolas_hv this is looking very impressive!!!

# 114 07-10-2005 , 05:22 PM
Really nice, Legolas. The render almost looks like a painted illustration. Very cool style!

# 115 08-10-2005 , 05:52 AM
19 year Veteran
Championship texturing it you get my meaning.user added image

# 116 08-10-2005 , 01:39 PM
jeans texture, left and right leg

Attached Thumbnails
# 117 08-10-2005 , 01:43 PM
real time rendering (without high quality rendering, because there isn't much difference at all, just some bump map i got...):

Attached Images
# 118 11-10-2005 , 12:13 PM
feet texture! I added some highlights around the joints and sinews in each foot and in the twins ( i dont know if thats its name in english i mean the two major muscles in the back of the leg)
I think im going to build that protection for the leg again if i have time enough...

Attached Thumbnails
# 119 11-10-2005 , 10:21 PM
Wow, nice work Legolas. Everything looks great. I really like the jean texturing.

# 120 12-10-2005 , 09:56 AM
great jean texturing, its nice to see how you did it in the texture map user added image
and it looks like you're having fun with the poses user added image

Examples of bTraffic - a traffic animation tool for Maya
bFlocking - a tool for Maya 8.5+ to generate flocking and swarming behaviours
Jan/Feb Challenge 2007 Entry and W.I.P
May/Jun Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Mar/Apr Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Jan/Feb Challenge 2006 Entry and W.I.P
Nov/Dec Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Sep/Oct Challenge 2005 Entry and W.I.P
Jul/Aug Challenge 2005 Entry
www.flash-fx.net