Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 16 14-09-2009 , 08:39 AM
Subscriber

I have seen a diferent kind of challenge: the participants were given a raw scene , the same for all, and they had to light it. It was a lighting challenge. That is something people can do more easilly without consuming so much time and would get much more entries.

I think that would work if it was lighting and texturing - as lighting could be done in an hour if someone knows what they are doing.

# 17 14-09-2009 , 12:09 PM
yes...you dont sound not non double negative
animation or rigging!
modeling and texturing is over-done.

level 3 luchador!

image dump
# 18 14-09-2009 , 04:25 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
oh no, not rigging, it would put of too many beginners
animation sounds great though (but I dont like the too specific ones, like fill the gap in the scene)

# 19 14-09-2009 , 04:35 PM
EduSciVis-er
I think these challenges are a great way to learn new areas. A lot of people, myself included, are really hesitant to dive in and try things like rigging, cause they're hard things to do and learn, but if there were challenges covering these things specifically, without asking for too much more, I think there could be quite the opportunity to learn loads.

# 20 20-09-2009 , 09:47 AM
Hey everyone, its been a while.

I think tasks that dont take quite as long would open the doors to a larger plethora of challenges.

People may feel more comfortable aproaching difficult concepts if assets are pre-provided to help them and there is a celing on how much can be done as well as on the skill set required.

I also think the educational slant would be healthy, if a challenge is focusing on design then links to good design tutorials and examples could help give people sure footing.

FX supervisor - double negative
# 21 20-09-2009 , 01:27 PM
What i observe in this forum there are lots of Still great images and very few character animations or whatever... I think animation is the best choice

# 22 20-09-2009 , 04:11 PM
yes...you dont sound not non double negative
yea, animation or more creative topics, make something explode, or audio clip animations, like the 10sec club, or a modeling competition where people sculpt a known statue, like the HCM [hardcore modeling on cgsociety].
-----

those are more fun because they are more specific, the topic on SM are too loose i think. its always free to do what you want, textured or untextured, high poly or low poly etc; it so vague...

level 3 luchador!

image dump
# 23 20-09-2009 , 04:33 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
I really liked the FX challenges but they were probably a bit too difficult/ time consuming for beginners, the make something explode idea seems good because it can be as basic or complex as you like (id quite like to blow up a Phanteater)

# 24 20-09-2009 , 06:03 PM

Originally posted by elephantinc
I really liked the FX challenges but they were probably a bit too difficult/ time consuming for beginners, the make something explode idea seems good because it can be as basic or complex as you like (id quite like to blow up a Phanteater)

Are you an elephant or the aliens turn your mind into elephant ? What is that all obsession of elephants and elephants eating ?:p :p :p :p

# 25 20-09-2009 , 08:30 PM
Level 32 pachyderm

Originally posted by ColdWave
Are you an elephant or the aliens turn your mind into elephant ? What is that all obsession of elephants and elephants eating ?:p :p :p :p

well the whole phanteater thing is my main project at the moment, elephants are great and I dont think im an elephant, although I wish I was
Can aliens 'turn your mind into elephant'? If so I need to find them n

# 26 28-09-2009 , 10:09 AM
A good challenge for me would be a texture or animation based challenge, as these are my weakest areas. I know they can take a lot of time though especially when people have other things to do.

I know some people say they aren't bothered about a prize but I think more people would enter if there was one, or at least stick to the project to the end.

I like Dango's idea with having two random words and having to come up with an idea for it. user added image Also modelling vechicles, characters, machinery, monsters, scenery are all good themes.

How about 4 the december comp - animating santa (or anything christmas related) or rendering a christmas card scene e.g snow scene, robins, reindeer's, xmas tree with present etc- that way people compete and can even send their xmas card via email to people to wish them a happy christmas. user added image

# 27 28-09-2009 , 04:23 PM
EduSciVis-er
Yeah, +1 for the christmas theme!

# 28 02-10-2009 , 08:00 PM
Subscriber
I think a design a "Saw" type trap would be a good challenage - and Mike having worked on the game would be the purfect judge.

It could be a mixer of all elements - Modelling, Texturing, Lighting, Animation, and Dynamics. You could just model it (adding texturing aswell would be good), or you could also animate it working and you could also use Dynamics to show how it would work.

A challenge like this means everyone can pick which areas they want to work in and which ones they don`t making it a perfect solution to the current problems.

# 29 02-10-2009 , 08:42 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!

Originally posted by tweetytunes
I think a design a "Saw" type trap would be a good challenage - and Mike having worked on the game would be the purfect judge.

It could be a mixer of all elements - Modelling, Texturing, Lighting, Animation, and Dynamics. You could just model it (adding texturing aswell would be good), or you could also animate it working and you could also use Dynamics to show how it would work.

A challenge like this means everyone can pick which areas they want to work in and which ones they don`t making it a perfect solution to the current problems.

That actually sounds like a ton of fun.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"