Maya for 3D Printing - Rapid Prototyping
In this course we're going to look at something a little different, creating technically accurate 3D printed parts.
# 16 29-09-2004 , 05:51 PM
Subscriber
Age has nothing to do with it. As long as you know what you are doing than you will be fine. Pure is a perfect example of this. Its all about commitment. I started on Maya about 3 1/2 years ago and have been working at Alias for three years as a demo artist. one thing you got to remember is don't try to learn everything at once. I tried that at first and it messed me up abit. I actually had to step back and start over.

# 17 29-09-2004 , 05:53 PM
Cool, you at Alias in Toronto?

Animator / Digital Artist
# 18 29-09-2004 , 06:21 PM
Subscriber
yup. Do you live around Toronto.

# 19 29-09-2004 , 07:07 PM
yeah I live at harbour square.

Animator / Digital Artist
# 20 29-09-2004 , 10:21 PM
Subscriber
22 here..been workgin in maya for ..ohh about.. 6 months..
Always wanted to be a 3d artist.. still nto sure weather i want Game or cenima.. love to do both..lol.. but..i dont reckon thats an option..
No 3d carrear yet.. which blows.. one day though..
<---gets all dramatic
I swear on the ground this house rests upon..i'll have a 3d carrear...I will!
Legend

Follow My Business
On The Web!
Or
On Facebook!
# 21 29-09-2004 , 10:31 PM
Technical Director
Hey Roach,

I was there about a month ago. I could have poped in and said hi. I too live around alias. Great place.

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 22 29-09-2004 , 11:03 PM
Subscriber
If you attend any maya event/seminar here at the office than most likely you have met me.

# 23 30-09-2004 , 05:53 AM
Subscriber
Been at it, with the PLE/software documentation, then found SM almost 6 months now. I currently own a gallery and a multimedia firm. I have an extensive art background (I first exhibited in 1957), did the restoration of the "Mr. McGoo" cels, am currently hanging in several galleries.

My eldest son works with Lucas Films, Ltd., introduced me to Maya and feels I can become adept with this program. (I have my doubts.)

My aspirations are not career focused. I too am way to old for the 3D world / business. I have grandchildren, nieces and nephews that love games, and I want to make a few with visual effects / 3D for them. I also have aspiration of completing a few shorts capturing tribal histories / stories / rituals / traditions, before all the elders are no more.

t3

All great projects succeed one step at a time. One lone step firmly placed.

Last edited by t3logy; 30-09-2004 at 06:11 AM.
# 24 30-09-2004 , 06:36 AM
about 3 years, although my first 3d software was Autocad 2000 back in highschool, which isnt even really a 3d modeling program.. it just had 3d abilities (you couldnt make realistic curves) but i'd try making all sorts of things on that program and got really interested into finding out if there was anything better out there.. THUS i found Maya and have put about a total of 2 or 3 months behind the software in the 8 months i've been using it =\ i need more dedication... but anyways i'm 19 now, it seems like alot of people on her started at 19..

AIM: Psuedo Realizm
# 25 30-09-2004 , 11:54 AM
Subscriber

Originally posted by roach105
I started on Maya about 3 1/2 years ago and have been working at Alias for three years as a demo artist. .

so 6 months into learning maya u land a job at alias....user added image
how is that possible....

# 26 30-09-2004 , 12:20 PM
Subscriber
Well, Im here. I only started at my current position about 2 1/2 years ago. I worked 6 months for field marketing before moving to the current position. Trust me it is possible, I am very fortunate to have alot of great people and talent above that also have guided me here.

# 27 30-09-2004 , 12:24 PM
The Maya Mountain
That's pretty cool, roach.

Did you have any prior 3D experience at all? Or was Maya your first?

# 28 30-09-2004 , 12:30 PM
Subscriber
Not 3d in general but took grahic designing and web dev in school. I must admit They didn't through me into the lions as soon as I started. I was doing many simple things that the other demo guys wouldn't do like online seminars which we were doing for about a year. Slowly I got to a point were I know sit in front of a few hundread people and can comfortbly talk and answer questions in front of an audience and can visit customers. I have met a few simplymaya folks along the way. met some in Atlanta and also in Minneapolis.

# 29 30-09-2004 , 02:41 PM
I was just about 26 when I started learning Maya and 3D. I'm going on 28 now, and I'm a lot further along than I thought I'd be. Although I haven't completed my demo reel, I have had job offers already. I was contacted about a month ago by a game company overseas that is interested in me for a position at their company, and I'm currently in the process of finalizing the job. I'm not sure if I have the job yet, but it looks likely.

If I don't get the job, it will take me at least another two months to finish my demo reel. Then I will start looking for a job.