Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 27-02-2008 , 10:03 AM

paint fur problem

everytime I try to use the paint fur tool, I get a fatal error message and the program closes. The error message says something to the effects of "fatal error: problem saving temp file in C:Doc&set/localsetting/temp/blahblahblah"

I am a new student at Gnomon School of VFX, so I'm still trying to figure out the settings. If somebody could please help... I am using MAYA 8... Thank you...

Last edited by sheriffbob; 27-02-2008 at 10:08 AM.
# 2 27-02-2008 , 10:17 AM
Lifetime Member
Errors can be for a number of reasons but off the top of my head i'm wondering if you UVmapped the geometry you are painting the fur on (doesn't apply if it's a nurbs object).
If you haven't mapped the geo then I could see that straining the system enough to crash it.
As a side note if you are painting fur or attributes then polgon geometry has to be UV mapped to fit the 0 - 1 UV space or Maya will have no idea where the painted attribute needs to appear on the geo.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 27-02-2008 , 10:34 AM
Like I said in my first post, I am a beginner at the world of VFX. I am a student at Gnomon School taking the Intro to Maya class. We are using Nurb. First I start the program, then create nurb sphere, select sphere and apply fur(lion's mane, sheep, duck fur). Everything works fine to this point. Then I select the furry sphere and go to the PAINT FUR ATTRIBUTES TOOL, after adjusting the size of the brush, I hold the mouse over my selected nurb and hit the mouse. As soon as I try to paint I get an FATAL ERROR MESSAGE... Fatal error: Attempting to save in C:DOCUME~1/USER~1/LOCAL~1/Temp/ user0001.ma