Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 20-09-2009 , 12:00 AM
Simply Maya OG

Maya Character Modeling Books

Im looking for a character modeling book. Ive found alot on Amazon, and alot of them have mixed reviews. I want to ask your guys' opinions on what is a good character modeling book, for a novice Maya user. Any suggestions?

- Hybrid
# 2 20-09-2009 , 03:52 AM
Technical Director
I have a few.

As you said you were a novice, a very good (and very thorough) one, is here: https://www.amazon.com/Game-Character...3418566&sr=1-3

This one covers character design, back story design, reference collecting, modeling, uv layout, texturing, rigging, and animation for two characters. One female, and one creature.

I would highly suggest it. It's probably the best broad-based 3d book I've found (and I have a lot)

Take a look. Hope it helps ya'

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 3 20-09-2009 , 03:43 PM
Subscriber
Next design is correct about that book. Very easy to understand and follow along. Its one thick book though (reminds me of those harry potter books) You definitely get your moneys worth in information.
NOTE: This book teaches you game character modeling

Here is my recommendation..
NOTE:This book teaches you character modeling for film or any high polygon environment.

Last edited by RockyMills_01; 17-04-2013 at 12:04 AM.
# 4 20-09-2009 , 09:43 PM
Technical Director
I've never looked at that book, but it might be too complicated for a novice. I recommended that one, as it's cheap, HUGE (832 pages), and covers a LOT of information. It also covers both creature, and humanoid modeling, so it gives him quite a bit of experience.

I have this one: https://www.amazon.com/Edgeloop-Chara...3483227&sr=1-1

It's great as well. It's best on modeling, but not texturing.

# 5 21-09-2009 , 06:50 PM
Hi!
I am interested on everything that covers modeling, too. My Question @Next: Is your book, which is probably for game design as the title says only for game modeling or can I use it also for Film. Because I am more into film than games user added image

Cheers, kimsay

# 6 23-09-2009 , 01:26 AM
Technical Director
Hi kimsay,

The techniques between film and real time are essentially the same. In both you need to know how to create efficient models, UV, rig, and animate. The only real difference is that when you're doing film work, you can use extra processes, such as advanced shaders, larger texture maps, etc.

The modeling process is a bit different as well for film, as you would generally want to keep your geometry as quadrangular as possible, as more often than not, you will end up smoothing the geometry, or even exporting it into zBrush for further detailing.

# 7 23-09-2009 , 11:39 AM
so you can recommend this book to me, even I want to model for film?

Cheers, kimsay

# 8 23-09-2009 , 11:10 PM
Technical Director
Yup, definitely.

# 9 24-09-2009 , 09:16 AM
Thanks. I think I will get the book. Stupid thing, that it is not available in germany... grrr.

# 10 24-09-2009 , 04:41 PM
I had the opportunity to look inside the game modeling book and it seems very cool. A lot of pictures.. I love that! I'm just afraid of becoming a game modeler... I want to make high poly models for film. But I think as you said the main difference is that the polycount in film is much higher than in games and there is more modeled detail on the mesh. But I don't know, when I am reading the book, at the end I can't do models for film, right?

# 11 24-09-2009 , 05:11 PM
The Nurb Herd
you will need to do both for film...

if you want to be a modeler for movies you will probably start making low poly assets like boxes and weapons or whatever. Even the super high poly models start at a low poly stage, you can just add more to a good foundation.

There are varying LODs for film as i'm sure there are with games.

# 12 24-09-2009 , 07:26 PM
Good point... user added image

And yes. There are LODs for Games as well. Have seen it in the book yet.

Cheers, kimsay

# 13 24-09-2009 , 08:11 PM
The Nurb Herd
The autumn competition is on now, you should sign up.

Its a great way to learn, plus its a character this time and you'll can get help from members of the forum.