Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 31 16-04-2011 , 11:57 PM
Subscriber
If i can make mine transform then you can make yours do it too user added image

I always thought Chirone was male...>.>

i thought i was a male as well.... user added image
man... if i was a female though... i'm sure i'd be totally hot!

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 32 17-04-2011 , 01:31 AM
Lifetime Member
Your NOT a sheila Chirone...damn! I think you would be totally hot too!

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 33 17-04-2011 , 06:43 AM
Head of 3d Admedia

thought i was a male as well....
man... if i was a female though... i'm sure i'd be totally hot!

What i always thought you were a she I have no idea why though........ are you sure your not a HE/SHE..........nah im just kidding my bad mate

# 34 19-04-2011 , 07:06 AM
Subscriber
Just a quick update to show I'm still trying to make progress. I've been beating my head trying to come up with a decent set of hands and so far this is the best I can come up with. I'm not happy with them, and I think at a little over 1000 polys a piece the looks isn't really worth the cost polygon wise. But I'm giving up on the hands for now and finishing the rest. Who knows with a little break maybe a better idea will come along and present itself.

user added image

Attached Thumbnails

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 35 19-04-2011 , 07:27 AM
Lifetime Member
Looks good mate...how about a wire shot on the hands so we can see what you have done?

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 36 21-04-2011 , 05:09 AM
Subscriber
Here ya go bullet... not my best but now that I've moved on to the legs I feeling like I'm making progress again. So hopefully I'll have another update after I finish the feet.

user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 37 21-04-2011 , 06:05 AM
Head of 3d Admedia
are you going to texture him

# 38 21-04-2011 , 07:05 AM
Subscriber
definitely murambi! Maybe not for the competition. But I'd like to take this one all the way. But after the competition is over I'm going to move it over to the WIP section and redo certain parts/add to it to add more detail that I'm not going to be able to add because of poly count for game character purposes.

# 39 21-04-2011 , 07:42 AM
The thin red line
Hi CGWolfgang
I think you need to make your finger so they can move, I have done a little side drawing to help..........dave

Attached Thumbnails

# 40 21-04-2011 , 09:27 AM
Lifetime Member
dave has a point but that will increase the poly count, maybe for later. I dont see why you have so many poly's mate?? You arent allowed to smooth this are you? each finger could be an octogon, single face at each end of the knuckle with a smaller one as the actaul knuckle and seperate geo of course. I think you could reduce faces on the joints you do have too and the palm could get away with less than half the faces...the whold hand could be seperate components...or wouldnt this work CG??

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 41 22-04-2011 , 12:38 AM
Subscriber
i think dave has a good idea. the way you're doing it now looks like you're end up soft skinning the fingers and the joint would have to be some stretchy material covering the joints. the part that boosts your polycount up a lot would be the spheres, you could easily bring the sphere on the thumb down from 12 subdivisions to 6 or 8 if you're that concerned about the 1000 polys. it's not something that people would notice in game play.

also, if the palm itself isnt going to deform then you could do away with almost all edges running along the z and x plane. you only need the one edge loop that makes it possible for you to make the bottom of the hand. maybe have enough edge loops at the part where the fingers join the hand so that they can sit right there.
Although, i assume the armour piece is part of the palm (if it's not then it should be, it's just hiding faces that will never be seen), that definitely doesn't need all those lines running along it unless you plan on changing it from a square shape.

the fingers don't need to be attached if you're using those cylindrical joints (whether or not it's high or low poly) because you'd end up using a parent constrain on the root of the fingers to the joints rather than soft skinning it.

after saying that i had to be sure that it would actually work...
so in about 20 minutes or so i made this. I'm not sure how the fingers would work in soft skinning but Kurt said that you only need 3 edge loops to make it work...
there are 9 meshes here in total.

Attached Thumbnails

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D

Last edited by Chirone; 22-04-2011 at 01:05 AM.
# 42 22-04-2011 , 06:07 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for the tips guys!

I think my biggest mistake is I'm trying to focus on making it too detailed at the model level. I keep forgetting that as far as game design goes a lot of what I'm trying to do will be handled with normal/displacement maps and clever texturing so trying to model it like I am is overkill.

I think for the moment I'm going to finish up the other parts then go back through and give the hands an overhaul using the tips and advice you guys gave me. Thanks Bullet, Chirone and Daverave!

# 43 22-04-2011 , 07:48 AM
Subscriber
One last update for the night before I go to bed. Finished the legs and the backpack. Going to move onto the last of the filler, armor bits, sword and shield over the weekend before I go back to the hands.

In the original game there were several upgrades you could give your robots. Newer/better boots, weapons, and backpacks. For the challenge this little guy is the melee only no ranged brawler. So the design of the backpack is meant to be more of a extra shield generator so he can take a few more hits while getting up close and personal with the bad guys.

Attached Thumbnails

# 44 24-04-2011 , 08:24 AM
Subscriber
Another update with pretty much everything done and with polys to spare for any extra adjustments that need to be made. Now all thats really left is to redesign those hands!

And that also means this might also be a challenge I actually finish! user added image

Attached Thumbnails

# 45 25-04-2011 , 01:50 AM
Lifetime Member
Looking good mate, chirone you hit it on the head, thanks mate

cheers bullet

bullet1968