Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 31 18-05-2003 , 09:55 PM
um... ok...

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 32 18-05-2003 , 09:57 PM
Simply Maya OG
Im just messing witch you man. user added image Nice job.

- Hybrid
# 33 18-05-2003 , 10:36 PM
Subscriber
no complaints from me, rage - looks beautiful

still getting tyo grips with the ways shaders n stuff work, so i'm doing stuff, but not quite understanding it

i'll try again, taking what you said into account

cheers,
t

# 34 18-05-2003 , 10:39 PM
Subscriber
one question though, rage - how do i get the blinn layer to be a projection, but not the refraction layer - i thought the projection was applied to the layered shader as a whole

t

# 35 19-05-2003 , 01:16 AM
Subscriber
ok -after a crash course in layered uvs linked to textures - i just about understand

here's the final result - not perfect, but fine for this exercise

big thanks to rage and nitro for help

# 36 19-05-2003 , 01:29 AM
{EDIT}
No problem, and good job for figuring it out!

For those who would like a small tut, here you go:

Check out my file attachment above, and you'll see that the way I've got it to work was to:

1. create 3 shaders.
(A Refraction, a Blinn, and a Layered shader)

2. In the Blinn:
-make the transparency to your liking,
-in the color slot, click the checkerbox to add a FILE texture WITH a projection. (see image)
user added image

3. When you do that, there will be a projection TAB at the top of the attribute editor for the COLOR slot you just made, go there. (see image)
user added image

4. Click on the big button labled: "Fit To BBox", and watch your viewports, there will be a projection manipulator that you need to move & rotate so it looks like the following image:
user added image

Hope that helped!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 37 19-05-2003 , 01:37 AM
Subscriber
hi, rage

only just saw your reply

its starting to make sense now - getting kinda late here in the uk - so i'll try your tute tomorrow

have attached my previous effort with a better refraction

cheers,
t

# 38 19-05-2003 , 01:38 AM
Subscriber
p.s.
you the man!

# 39 19-05-2003 , 01:45 AM
WOW!

That's a SHINY cd man! Cool!

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 40 19-05-2003 , 01:10 PM
Nice Job, Rage!

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."

Last edited by NitroLiq; 19-05-2003 at 01:14 PM.
# 41 19-05-2003 , 01:37 PM
Why, thank you Nitro! hehe user added image

Israel "Izzy" Long
izzylong.com
# 42 20-05-2003 , 03:10 AM
Subscriber
Well, I read through this whole thread, downloaded the shader, played with it a little, rendered a few shots out, made a short animation with it, then realized that the CD didn't render out in the animation. Why didn't it? I'm guessing it has something to do with batch rendering because I get the CD when I do a regular render. All of my settings are the same for when I batch render and when I regular render. What's the problem? Is it possible that Alias|Wavefront embedded some sort of code in their mll file that would prevent people from batch rendering animations with it?

# 43 20-05-2003 , 03:15 AM
Have you looked at the animations on the AW page you downloaded the shader from?

# 44 20-05-2003 , 03:21 AM
Subscriber
No. I didn't see any. Get this though: I tried applying two different shaders to the CD - one Diffraction and one lamber with a checkered texture - trying to see if only the section of the CD with the diffraction shader would not be rendered. To my amazement, only one frame was rendered in the batch render and that image could not be opened with any image program I have. (fcheck, Photoshop, Microsoft Paint, etc) It was a targa, but could be viewed. I went back and did a regular render and it turned out fine. AW deffinently tweaked this shader so no one could use it in animations.

If AW does have movies of the shader it's only because they probably have a version without this special tweak.

# 45 20-05-2003 , 02:28 PM
It has to be something with your setup. I built a quick cd this morning and rendered out an animation fine using batch render. Didn't do anything special. I lofted 4 circles for the cd, applied the diffraction shader to the main body of the cd, set a few keys and rendered out a 75 frame animation (tif sequence) at 30fps. Imported the files into Premiere and exported as avi using divx 5.0.5. The result is the attached movie.

Attached Files
File Type: zip cd.zip (181.8 KB, 225 views)