Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 10-07-2003 , 12:40 AM

BIG Texturing Issue

First off, my apologies if I look like a retard and this has been posted eveywhere before. I can't quite figure out how to state this problem under Google.

The Problem : Every time I try to texture map my subdiv-made model, 90% of the faces on it get THE ENTIRE texturemap (especially annoying in 3D paint mode), and only a few actually get the piece of the map they're supposed to.

The Example :
user added image

Any help is very much appreciated.

# 2 10-07-2003 , 04:00 AM
Subscriber
You have to uv map it first-

there is a good tutorial here on the site about that.

or... I would suggest mapping it while its still in polys. you can use the automatic mapping for a quick fix, but that creates a bit of a messy set of uv's.

or... There also is a script on this forum called Danny's UV helper ( or something like that user added image)

I like to select groups of faces and planar map them, then arrange them in the uv editor.

good luck!

# 3 10-07-2003 , 04:03 AM
Subscriber

# 4 10-07-2003 , 05:35 PM
Mega-thanks.

# 5 10-07-2003 , 10:22 PM
Subscriber
no-problemo!

how did it work out for you?

# 6 10-07-2003 , 11:08 PM
Automatic mapping did the trick. The UV map is still screwed beyond remodelling or spending 20+ hours fixing it, but it looks nicer now. (picture soon. ^__^)

Small question #2, if I may. I'm trying to paint weight values (Skin==>Edit Smooth Skin==>Paint Skin Weight Tool), but when I try to add a join to Influence, it says, "Warning: Item not found: joint5" or whatever the name of the joint I try to add happens to be. Any clue on that one? ^^

# 7 10-07-2003 , 11:30 PM
Subscriber
skinning/rigging is something I am trying to learn myself... so I cant help you there.

but there are alot of guys around this site who could help, lets hope they read this post user added image

# 8 12-07-2003 , 07:04 AM
I found out; you're supposed to click the model, not the joints.