Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 19-06-2012 , 07:53 PM
Lifetime Member

Bedroom Suite

To continue learning modeling, decided to attempt another of the cabinets I've built in the past,
also figured it'd be good as a lighting exercise, as there are a ton of lights in this unit.
Only have the 1 reference picture, but blueprints are in my memory.
Some of the proportions look a little off, probably from the camera angles,
but trust me, everything is built exactly to scale from the blueprints (I never forget a job)

The 2 upper display cabinets have frosted glass bottoms and tops with the open areas completely lit from the glass "shelves", and lighting all across the center unit above the bed.
I've also went ahead and modeled the bed frame, not seen in picture,
as photo was taken before I had the chance to build it.

Cabinets are Plain sliced Honduran Mohagany
Square panels above bed are (will be) covered with a "creamish" leather material
Borders around squares are to be polished brass, and toe kicks are polished brass
Inset in countertops are filled with 1" thick "creamish" marble slabs

All edges are basically square, but have added a .02 bevel to simulate the rounding over by a block sander.
(no wood edges are truly square or sharp)

have a ton to do yet:
~ make the recess and model a 1/2"x 1/2" polished brass L-shaped frame around the display openings
~ model glass panels and lighting inside the display cabinets
~ model recess in valance above bed and add lights
~ model drawers and drawer runners inside base cabinets
~ make the recess and model lighting controls on side of each base cabinet
~ model box springs and mattress

Will have a bunch of questions about the lights, and the frosted glass panels (be prepared LOL).....

as always, comments and crits welcomed.

Attached Thumbnails

I'm not lazy, I'm just resting before I get tired

Last edited by BeAstMaSter; 20-06-2012 at 06:45 PM.
# 2 19-06-2012 , 09:25 PM
The thin red line
Looks like a good start look farward to the texturing and lighting............dave

# 3 20-06-2012 , 08:56 AM
Lifetime Member
Looks good mate....Im with dave...TEXTURES!!!! I would change the blue hue...lighten it a bit man....looks like a public dunny light LOL.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 4 20-06-2012 , 06:57 PM
Lifetime Member
Thanks for the comments guys user added image FYI, textures won't come 'til after all the modeling is complete .......

LOL @ Bullet, OK changed the blue, hope it's easier on the eyes user added image

haven't been able to sit at computer long, but modeled the framework around the upper cabinet openings, and modeled the drawers.

Questions:
~ When I group the individual drawers with their respective drawer faces, I group them/freeze transformations ...... why when I select a face and try to move does the drawer itself not move also?
do I also need to do a combine ?
~ In my views, when the occlusion render layer is active, the perspective view set to default render, view is completely black, when set for high quality render, view is colored to a point I can't see anything.. is this natural or am I missing a setting somewhere?
To make adjustments in perspective I've been switching between the occlusion render layer to the master render layer in able to fully see what I want to adjust, would like to bypass the layer changes if possible....

TIA

# 5 20-06-2012 , 09:06 PM
Super Moderator
Grouping parents transform nodes. Poly Combine turns the selection into a new singular surface.

If you created the occlusion render layer using the layer preset then you're not going to see much in the viewport because there's a MR AO texture plugged into the surface shader assigned to the objects and there doesn't seem to be any support for any visual feedback.

- Genny
# 6 20-06-2012 , 09:39 PM
The thin red line
Try using parent insted of grouping for for small stuff I think its easyer for stuff like you are doing, like make the front of the draw the parent you just click on it to sellect the whole draw................dave

# 7 21-06-2012 , 03:20 AM
Lifetime Member
uhmmm ok user added image LOL still kinda confused as to what purpose grouping does then (isn't a movement a transformation of sorts?)
the parenting makes sense will give that a shot tomorrow, else I'll just combine the fronts with the drawers into a single object, just thought it'd create more geometry that way
(altho I'm not worried about poly count)

thanks for the info re:viewports, and yes it's just the default preset for the occlusion render
but still good to know it's not something I mucked up myself user added image

# 8 21-06-2012 , 06:06 AM
Super Moderator
Yes, moving/scaling/rotating are all transformations, groups just allow you to proportionally do that to a bunch of objects at a time, for example grouping a house and all the objects in it under one master node in order to scale or rotate the whole thing instead fiddling with one piece at a time. Parenting works very similarly, except you choose the parent node instead of Maya generating a dummy one(which only has transformation channels) for you. I'm tired so I hope this makes sense lol.

Also, combining doesn't create more geometry, it just consolidates whatever is there.

- Genny
# 9 21-06-2012 , 08:27 AM
The thin red line
How are you selecting the group as you need to select through the outliner or select 1 object in the group and press the arrow up to get to the group.............dave

# 10 21-06-2012 , 09:34 AM
Lifetime Member
aaahhhhhh much better on the eyes. Grouping will come in very handy when trying to edit transforms on multiple objects...which includes hiding/unhiding, moving etc. As dave says...through the outliner or the arrow key. Trust me, this will come in very handy the more geo you get in the scene. So select one face in the group and arrow up, the whole group should now be selected.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 11 21-06-2012 , 05:35 PM
Super Moderator
To expand some more on what Dave and Ant said about the arrow keys, they allow you to step up or down in the hierarchy, the up key won't necessarily take you to the top most level, just the parent of the current selection for example in this group, each node is a child of the previous.

Code:
Group1
    >node1
        >node2
            >node3
Selecting node3 and pressing up will select node2 and not the group node, you'll have to press the key two more times. Hope that helps. The Outliner is really handy, I feel naked without it!

- Genny
# 12 22-06-2012 , 02:49 AM
Lifetime Member
many thanks all for the replies,
I did some more reading of the help files re: grouping and parenting......
unless I'm missing something, it never says when objects are grouped I had to select them all to move (which is what I was needing to do)
I wasn't selecting the group thru the outliner as ya'll say I should've, but selecting objects in a viewport.
Ended up UNgrouping everything, then parenting the drawers to their respective drawer front, once parented I could just select the drawer front, hit w, and move both objects at once (exactly the end result I was attempting)

re the arrow keys, still need to get a handle on those, and will in time
but ever since my computer cabinets model exercise I always open and do some work in the outliner (LOL just not selecting the groups as I should've)
I really do like the outliner, just have to get into the habit of naming all the objects so I know what polyobject16 is user added image

oh, and dave & bullet, it's all yall's fault I screwed around half a day playing with textures and the uv editor, and didn't get a single bit of modeling done!
shame on both of you for putting that temptation into my head! user added image

hopefully updates soon, want to get the insides of display cabinets finished, and see if I can figure out how to properly model the lighting controls that go into the sides of the drawer cabinets.

again, many thanks for the help and explanations.

# 13 22-06-2012 , 07:34 AM
Lifetime Member
LOL my job here is done...he he he he he

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 14 22-06-2012 , 12:49 PM
EduSciVis-er
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but there is a mode to select your top level transform node, like a group, with the group selection mode in the status line. I think it's called hierarchy mode, beside the object and component selection modes. Then you can click once and you'll get your group transform node immediately. The only trouble there is that it's harder to get to the object level, because pickwalking (arrow keys) down won't necessarily select the object you want.

Wow, was that convoluted. Short version: try the group selection mode. But even better, group and use the arrow keys.

# 15 25-06-2012 , 03:13 PM
Lifetime Member
LOL stwert, and people wonder why I get soooo cunfused ...... j/k user added image
thanks for the reply

~ got all the brass pieces done and mapped
~ got the marble tops done and uv'ed
~ uv'ed the drawers with ash (done)
~ got the left drawer cabinet and drawer faces uv'ed and tweaked
~ temporary placement of leather texture on center panels (still have to tweak uv's so it's not repetitive)

once I've tweaked the uv's for the left side cabinets, I'll apply the uv maps to the right side cabinets,
then all I have to do is tweak uv's for the bed & center section, and the valances......

started adding the interior lights to the display cabinets (left side)
figured once those are correctly placed with proper settings, then I'd copy them over to right cabinet also

having issues with the glass "shelves" in display cabinets, can't seem to get it right
started with a mia_x shader, used the frosted glass preset, and it was blackish and all blotchy
right now is just a blinn with translucence and transparency adjusted, but nowhere near being correct user added image
any suggestions for the frosted glass is greatly welcomed ......

lighting on inside of display cabinets (area lights with linear decay) ....
even with the intensity turned up I still get shadows from the main area light, which in life shouldn't happen
any ideas how to correct this?

still a bunch of work needed on the lighting and texture tweaking, but making progress

and comments or suggestion welcomed.
TIA

Attached Thumbnails