Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 22-02-2006 , 11:30 PM
Subscriber

python and pulls DTS for terrain.

I have a tut about terrain reproduction from Geo-maps and it needs 'pulls STDS'. Personally I have never heard of them but I have the installer ready to open it (is it a plug in??) but don't want to until I know this is not going to be a 12 month course in 'STDS' efficiency. Terrains are something I'd like to do and this tut is about terrain elevation. I don't really want to learn a new program, Vue, Bryce, World builder, ect 'cause one would think Maya can do all that anyway??

There is also something called 'Python' which looks like a simple installer?? I'm not ready to install it before i know what it is.

Any clues??

By the way; how is Maya measures in metres, miles, feet, whatever; is there a standard measurement for the Grid, eg, one square on the grid equals.., what? One square metre, just one unit, ect.. what?

Attached Images

take it easy and life will be easy
# 2 23-02-2006 , 05:23 PM
Maya uses meters for its default values (its in the settings if you want to change it over to feet)

I think gnomon has a DVD on terain mapping

# 3 23-02-2006 , 09:33 PM
and Python is probably the programming language it was written in... cheap beginners language that replaced the useless BASIC language for learners

Live the life you love, love the life you live
# 4 24-02-2006 , 12:21 AM
Subscriber
Thanks for both replies guys, now I can delete the installers from my temps. thankfully i hadn't performed the no turning back double click (well I guess there's always system restore, but I hate wasting time, it's the only real thing we have, which is ironic because we can't see it).

Better to get some advice or a tut on Maya terrain construction. I dont know what gnomon is and I am soooo broke you can't believe it (just brouht a you bute laptop) and not much $$$$ is rolling in.

# 5 25-02-2006 , 09:23 AM
Subscriber
Hi Mirek,

Terragen? the price is right.

mic

# 6 25-02-2006 , 10:22 PM
Subscriber
yea, you got that right, free is good. I actually have it on a disc somewhere that i saved from my temps. I have been thinking of it a bit lately, interesting you should mention it. Last time i used it I didn't know what the hell it was for except making 'alien landscapes' and I thought it a bit boring after a while and went to the botanical gardens and took digital photos of plants user added image which I thought more fun. I didn't realise it was 3D I just thought it some program to display computer tech virtuosity, which I wasn't interested in. So terragen actually creates a wireframe?? Interesting, can you import it into Maya; well obviously you can but how and what format is it. I'm a little careful of throwing stuff on the computer these days, there's always a blue screen or two waiting around the corner on my computer.