Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 136 14-08-2010 , 11:53 AM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
No it's a blinn I doubt that Zbrush is smart enough to convert it to a SSS shader , tweak the lighting and so on to get a perfect render, aonther thing is that it goes to the lowest subdivision and displacements won't work proper with that level of detail but basic connections are setup and you can get a feel of how it looks in maya

# 137 14-08-2010 , 05:43 PM
I tried posting this at Zbrush central, but for some reason the threads I start don't appear, at least I don't see them( it could be I have a miljon Indy post there now user added image

Anywho

I was wondering if someone here knows to solve this:

"I am currently working on making a CG model of Indiana Jones I have posted on several other sites to get more feedback and in turn get better for it, I think I owe it to them to mention them here since they have been of great help:
www.3dhype.com ( dutch site) www.SimplyMaya.com
CGtalk

I do have some Zbrush related questions and I do hope there is some guru here that can help me along with this:

- I noticed that the model of the hand ( is attached to the body) wasn't the way I would like topology wise so I thought let's try that GOZ thing, but since I had to do more then scaling I ended up having more pints in my mesh, so when I pressed the GOZ button again( you probably guessed alreadyuser added image ) it imported the low level poly object in a new ZBrush scene/tool without the 6 sculpted subdivision levels, which is more than a minor set back as I hope you agree when you see the details on the head below. Now I know that I can delete part of the mesh and do a subtoolmerge on a higher level, but this deletes the lower levels and I do hate retopologizing an entire mesh( equals annoying), so I kinda hoped there was some new feature in Zbrush 4 which I know nothing about which makes it possible to replace parts of the mesh and really make one mesh from an imported part and the body without losing the back and forth capabilities I now have. If this is not possible, is it possible to transfer changes I do on the left hand and project them on the right hand whilest the right hand is hidden ( If I keep them both in view and press X I know I can sculpt in symmetry...but this does some funky stuff with viewport navigation and I cant get one hand to line up properly and move around it ( it still behaves as if the whole body is there) I use Maya for the basemesh by the way ( I suck at Zspheres) Sorry for my lengthy first post user added image Below is my progress thusfar

Attached Images
# 138 15-08-2010 , 12:39 AM
I tweaked the model and redid the texture and off course another render user added image

C&C welcome

Attached Thumbnails
# 139 15-08-2010 , 12:59 AM
Lifetime Member
Looks really good mate!!! I still think it might be a little red/pink??? Sort of from the nose upwards?? Other than that it looks so bloody real!

cheers bullet

P.S I hope you keep the base and do a young Han Solo with it!!!

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 140 15-08-2010 , 08:56 AM
The thin red line
The texture is looking good, what sort of results are you getting in maya.............dave

# 141 15-08-2010 , 06:51 PM
Hi Guys

@bullet:
Looks fine from here tbh, I even calibrated my monitor here before I went forth with texturing, but I am a bit biased and I do have watched the majority of this weekend at his face so you could be right ....and I am definitely not doing a Han Solo after this, not because I hate the subject but because I want to move on user added image.
At the plusside I am keeping the model user added image

@Dave:
Haven't tried to render anything out just now, I am really trying to get to grips with Zbrush sculpting and texturing.
Once I finalised the look I will switch back to Maya and do some testrenders there.....

I think I call it a day for now, I did some refinements on his arms and hands, but I got fed up with Zbrush that kept snapping out of view or giving me awkward rotation centers.
So eventually I went back and forth between painting the texture and refining the hands and if you liked the previous render you love this one user added image

Attached Thumbnails
# 142 15-08-2010 , 07:41 PM
As Zbrushiac sounds stupid!
Hey Mastone, Nice model.

To answer some of your questions, if they haven't been answered elsewhere by now...

You can use the "projectAll" button in the Sub-tool menu to project the details of one mesh to the new 'edited' mesh you've imported. You can also transfer subdivision by subdivision detail by simply Projecting All on each subdivision layer. You can however crank your Edited meshes subdivision layers up to the same level as your original mesh, e.g: 10 subdivisions, then simply "ProjectAll" and your mesh will have detail throughout all the lower subdivisions. However I prefer to do it level by level, as I think it transfers the details better and you wont get as many artifacts.

I've also had your other problem, trying to sculpt a hand while trying to navigate the viewport with the other hand visible. Just hide the one hand like you would the rest of the body, then when you're done sculpted the other hand, mask off the hand you just sculpted plus any other areas you do not want effected, then go to: Tool>> Deformation>> Smart RySym. This will update the non-sculpted hand with the sculpting data from the sculpted hand.

Hope that all makes sense.

www.stevenegan-cgi.com

"Your weapons are no match for ours! People of Mars, surrender!"
"Um, this isn't Mars. This is Earth."
"Earth? Earth-with-nuclear-weapons Earth?"
"Yes."
[long pause] "Friend!!"

Last edited by Mayaniac; 15-08-2010 at 07:43 PM.
# 143 17-08-2010 , 07:58 PM
# 144 17-08-2010 , 09:13 PM
Lifetime Member
Now it does look good, how come you hate the subject BTW??? Im curious...you have done a good job despite your problems mate.

Cheers bullet

bullet1968

"A Darkness at Sethanon", a book I aspire to model some of the charcters and scenes
# 145 17-08-2010 , 10:02 PM
This is what I said Bullet:

" ...... not because I hate the subject but because I want to move on...."

Why would I spend this much time on something I hate?

Do try to keep up:p

# 146 18-08-2010 , 12:12 AM
Lifetime Member
My apologies mastone...I should learn to read and post at hours that are human...reading and posting @ 0500 in the mornings..(LOL that will teach me) probably isnt smart. :p

bullet1968

# 147 23-10-2010 , 09:11 PM
Did some rendertests with Renderman ( awesome renderer by the way user added image )

Attached Thumbnails
# 148 24-10-2010 , 01:27 AM
Lifetime Member
Looks good mate.......Renderman eh?? might research that one.

cheers bullet

bullet1968

# 149 24-10-2010 , 04:22 AM
Subscriber
And this is why I like browsing this forum. Seeing work like this makes me want to try harder to get to this kind of skill. This is looking real good.

~To create a new world through the imagination
# 150 25-10-2010 , 07:34 PM
Thanks guys ( that is to much kudoos for me Wolfgang, there a lot of better artists out there, but thanks nonetheless)

I have tweaked and fiddled the model some more, I didn't paint the texture anew so that's why it looks a bit of, but it's a good reference ( and works a lot better than just a skinish shaded lambert, good for look development in short)

I tried to fix the corners of the mouth and the cheekbones as best as I could and tweaked some minor stuff....

Attached Thumbnails