Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 30-04-2003 , 09:30 PM

Batch Render

I use batch render when I want to preview a rendered sequence of my animation. This proceeding creates a sequence of a determinated number of frames - like a list - that when opened at the Fcheck looks like a rendered preview animation.
Actually I wanted to know if there's a way Maya creates a single rendered file of all the frames making an animation for itself (or instead I'll have to use another program?). I'm asking that because I want to open animation tests in other computer that don't have Maya installed (tried to open in a media player kind of program)...

Thanks.

Mário.

:bgreen:
# 2 30-04-2003 , 09:35 PM
Subscriber
why dont you just render the files in JPG instead of the maya format?

Then you can composite them in After Effects as an animation

-Emo

# 3 30-04-2003 , 09:38 PM
You can render to an avi file in maya but it's not recommended. You'd be better off batch rendering out your single images and sequencing them in premiere or something.

"Terminat Bora Diem, Terminal Auctor opus."
# 4 30-04-2003 , 09:47 PM
The Maya Mountain
.tga files (targa) have always been good to me.

# 5 30-04-2003 , 10:05 PM

Originally posted by NitroLiq
You can render to an avi file in maya but it's not recommended. You'd be better off batch rendering out your single images and sequencing them in premiere or something.

You mean program Adobe Premiere?
Do I need just to import my frames to it and put them together?

Mário.

# 6 30-04-2003 , 10:12 PM

Originally posted by mtmckinley
.tga files (targa) have always been good to me.

I watched your render globals tut, and there you recommend using a program named VideoMach. I wonder if it isn't possible to use something like Media Player or Real Player to do the same or something like (sorry if that's a stupid question...)

Mário.

PS.by the way, your tut was very useful for me (it is very well explained.)

# 7 30-04-2003 , 10:17 PM

Originally posted by Emo
why dont you just render the files in JPG instead of the maya format?

Then you can composite them in After Effects as an animation

-Emo

What is the After Effects?
Does it belongs to the Maya Complete 4.5 package or it's another software from somewhere else?

Mário.

# 8 30-04-2003 , 10:55 PM
The Maya Mountain
After Effects is another program.

Glad you liked the vid. user added image As far as I know, I don't think Media Player or Real Player has any sort of video editing ability.

# 9 30-04-2003 , 11:35 PM
Any app that allows you to import a sequence of images and export as video file will work. I usually use adobe premiere. Since Maya outputs it's images with sequence numbers, all you have to do is start a project in premiere and import the first image. It will ask if you want to import the entire sequence....say yes and there ya go. Now just make sure your project settings (duration) for still images are set to 1 (which isn't the default). Select all the images and drag them to the timeline. Then just export your animation in your file format of choice. I've done this in Flash as well (the final output being flash file of course).

--Pete

P.S. After Effects is Adobe's video compositing application

# 10 30-04-2003 , 11:37 PM
Subscriber

Originally posted by said
What is the After Effects?
Does it belongs to the Maya Complete 4.5 package or it's another software from somewhere else?

Mário.

like Mike said, it doesnt have anything to do with Maya and it's made by Adobe user added image

its' really good for doing such things..

-Emo

# 11 01-05-2003 , 12:32 AM
.Now just make sure your project settings (duration) for still images are set to 1 (which isn't the default).

Where do I make this setting, Nitro?
Did you mean I musn't start my sequence with frame number 000, or that's nothing to do with this?

Thanks.

Mário

Last edited by said; 01-05-2003 at 12:38 AM.
# 12 01-05-2003 , 12:40 AM
Could I use Vegas Video also?

# 13 01-05-2003 , 12:55 AM
No it has nothing to do with that. Once you render out your images. Import them into Premiere. In Premiere, go to preferences -> General and Still Images and change the default duration for still images to 1. Now just select all the images and drag them to the timeline. Because the rendered images are numbered (whichever naming scheme you used in maya's render globals), it'll be in order when you drag to Premiere's timeline.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you could use Vegas video as well.

# 14 02-05-2003 , 07:16 PM
Make sure you set the frame padding properly or you wont be able to import them properly. Frame padding just adds leading zeros to a frame number so that packages like premier can import them:

e.g.
frame padding = 1 gives frame1, frame2, frame3 etc.
frame padding = 2 gives frame01, frame02, frame03 etc.
frame padding = 3 gives frame001, frame002, frame003 etc.

Unless you're going over 1000 frames set it to 3.

Dont render as Jpgs as they introduce artifacts into the render. Use Tga's or Tiffs (I always use tiffs) any app that puts image files togther should be able to handle them easily. The only problem is that because the tiffs or tgas are lossless compression then they ca get big in terms of file size: 1.2megs for one 720 x 576 tiff is pretty normal.

Hope this helps

Alan

Technical Director - Framestore

Currently working on: Your Highness

IMDB
# 15 16-05-2003 , 04:51 AM
So after using Batch Render to render my frames to many single images...I use After Effect or Premiere to convert them to a clip?Thanks