Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 76 29-09-2006 , 08:22 PM

Originally posted by NeoStrider
this is kinda cheap, but the majority of the people rendering to clay like this are actually just using a preset maya 7 has. all ya gotta do is select all your objects and add them to a new render layer. after that, right click on said render layer, go to presets, and choose occlusion. that should give you the style of render that you see these guys pumping out like it's nothing...

in my opinion, though, rendering with these settings or with final gather and global illumination etc. leads to people not knowing how to actually create a good light setup. you get people that don't understand the concepts of light linking, and people that don't realize that the occlusion render usually looks too blown out on top to actually look good or get good comments and criticisms from.

Ya, I think clay is good, but yer lighting skills start to kinda go away. Plus, layers take up memory.
user added image

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 77 30-09-2006 , 02:11 PM

# 78 30-09-2006 , 02:31 PM
Do you leave it in the clay look even when you apply textures?

"The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man."

George Bernard Shaw - Man and Superman
# 79 30-09-2006 , 07:37 PM
Subscriber
dilbert, when u say modified sphere, how do u mod urs. can u take a screen shot of ur model with the sphere and plane so I can see cause I have my sphere cover everything but dome ppl have it open at the top so the image based lighting can take more effect. also can u help me with paint shaders. I used a fractal displacement map to get speckles in my paint but it still looks a little off. what do u do with ur shaders and how do u get that nice alloy look

Lamborghini Mucielago

Ferrari Modena 360

I create feeling in others that they themseleves don’t understand.
# 80 10-07-2008 , 10:33 AM

Fender subd

Hi,
I have encountered a problem during the subd part of the fender. It just won't make the same result, and it looks very messy. I guess, the subd part was updated, because this is a relatively old tutor, and I'm working with Maya 8.0. Anyone can give me a hint (I will post picture). Thx in advance!

# 81 10-07-2008 , 10:44 AM
Subscriber
hey man...first I'd like to say this is such an old model lol....but as far as subDs...the reason mines looks different then urs probablly is because I'm not doing subd creases......i bevel my edges to give it more control so when I go into subd..i don't have to apply any creases....i basically only use sub d to check for bumps.....as far as u using 8.0....it makes no difference...it does the same things really..just different menu settings....what you need to look into is go into these sites...smcars.net cg-cars.com and sektor-41.com those are all cg car web sites and look for free tuts...you will find some that shows you how to do edges properly.....also if you need help...message me on any messenger...i might have something for u that can do the trick as far as helping out...

Toyota Supra WIP

# 82 10-07-2008 , 11:02 AM
99GsTurbo ,
I don't get the point in beveling. Theoretically, you get less option with beveling first, meanwhile you can apply creases later, which means more freedome. You can finetune the car with the whole shape in front of you. Anyway, I will search for more info on this beveling stuff. Thx for the reply!

# 83 10-07-2008 , 11:05 AM
Subscriber
message me if you have any of these messengers..i can give u more in dept explination..and how guide u in the right direction

msn: ejmattison@yahoo.com
yahoo: ejmattison
aim: moreno4rmdabean

Toyota Supra WIP

# 84 10-07-2008 , 11:29 AM
That's very kind of you, I'll message you! :bow: Thx

# 85 10-07-2008 , 03:05 PM
Acid44
why the hell are both your msn and yahoo ejmattison and the aim is... well whatever the hell that's supposed to say...

WEIRDO ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!:blush:

# 86 10-07-2008 , 03:12 PM
Subscriber
his AIM is easy to remember if you break it up

more no 4 r m da bean

equals

more no 4 real man da bean lmao

it is ghetto ebonics

hahhahhahhah

now where is my ghetto dictionary

Last edited by mmoore5553; 10-07-2008 at 03:15 PM.
# 87 10-07-2008 , 04:51 PM
Subscriber
haha u putas moreno you should know what that is matt...ur mexican......and if you dont know your own language...its for brown skinned........and 4rm=from, da=the, bean = boston\

so it equals brown skinned man from boston

Toyota Supra WIP

# 88 10-07-2008 , 04:58 PM
Acid44
lol, this whole time i thought you were white :p

# 89 10-07-2008 , 05:00 PM
Subscriber
lol nope lol...thats y thats my screen name haha...u couldnt tell by the brown skinned goku with a hat on backwards lol...

Toyota Supra WIP

# 90 10-07-2008 , 05:31 PM
Acid44
lol, i kinda figured it would've shared some resemblance with you since you use a pic of a dude in your ava