Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 12-05-2007 , 08:55 PM
Banned

Human

Well i have started modeling organic. Don't know if its a wise move with my level, but I'm gonna give it a shot. Would really appreciate some crits on how to approve, there some real good organic modelers on this site!
Have spend the past day looking at anatomy of the body. Following along from the freedom of teach dvd. LOVING the spin faces mel that he uses!
Cheers, Mark
Finished blocking my model...

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 12-05-2007 , 09:07 PM
Subscriber
It's tough I gave the organic modeling a shot after about a month or two of diving into maya. Turned out to be too hard for me, too much detail, and the only other character I made before it was the franky tutorial on simplymaya.
My suggestion to you is to check out the topology thread for ideas of how different parts should flow, just as an extra reference to the dvd you're following.

# 3 12-05-2007 , 09:09 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Meredith

I dont think you need any crit right now but if any to be given, this is looking good. If you follow that dvd you'll pick up some useful stuff. Its a very good walk through from start to finish, just persevere.

Cheers
Jay

# 4 12-05-2007 , 09:13 PM
Banned
Cheers Rhetoric & Jay for the quick reply!
I just had a look at the thread, man its awsome! thanks heaps. Will have a proper read of it tonight.
God, to be told its looking good from the man Jay himself :blush:. Well thanks heaps, looks like you had a large part of the topology thread. Very useful thread.
Mark

# 5 12-05-2007 , 09:29 PM
Subscriber
you're welcome for the link. and sorry I didn't say anything about your model in my first post, I had to type out what I said quick before I forgot. Anyway, like Jay said, it's looking good so far, and good luck!

# 6 12-05-2007 , 09:43 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Meredith

No Probs. Any character model on this forum will always get my eye over it at least once, with or without comments. The topo thread was one I felt was needed here. Its helping...I hope! LOL

Cheers
Jay

# 7 13-05-2007 , 02:48 AM
Acid44
i think the ass could use some work bu thats it keep at it manuser added image

# 8 15-05-2007 , 02:04 AM
Banned
Gez wow, cheers guys: Jay, Rhetoric Camel, and acid
Have just gotten a new cafe job from 6:30am - 3pm then at my other job from 3pm - 6. Realy doesn't leave much time for maya.
Started working on the body detail, i seem to get into point pulling trances until it looks the way i like it user added image. I know the back is looking a bit bunched but am working on it. Thanks acid, yep the gluteus was lookin a bit small.

Attached Thumbnails
# 9 12-07-2007 , 08:09 PM
Banned
To all those freakish 2d painters and drawers.
I have stopped using maya for the moment. I thought that i really need to get my anatomy up to scratch first before modeling organic models. So i have worked through rivinphoenixes the invention to the human figure posted up in Jays anatomy sticky thread. I can now draw with so much confidence than before its unbelievable. Even looking at peoples 3d posts i can spot what bones / muscles are looking odd. I have now sort of been drawn to the 2d side of things than the 3d.
Could anyone here help me out with pointing me to some good painting/ toning/ drawing tutorials. Since i really want to improve more - or maybe some advice about how to improve. I was thinking about taking a class on painting/ drawing.
Cheers guys user added image
Mark

# 10 13-07-2007 , 04:23 AM
Subscriber
i own that dvd too organic modeling by tariq mirza, yeah!! it's hard but what you gain from it is priceless, in terms of skill and confidence.

your models looking good one crit though the hand is looking a bit small other then that it's cooming along nicely