Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 46 19-09-2007 , 02:56 PM
Cheers Arran and Tweetytunes, much appreciated. It is the same base mesh as batman for the most part. The gloves have not been changed at all yet so they will look different once they are detailed. I am unsure if it will work but the main reason for my doing this is so that when I rig 1 character I think I can attach the same weighting to the other. Well this and the fact I am being lazy user added image .
Hopefully he will start to look less similar with some more updates and a better pose.

# 47 24-09-2007 , 04:07 AM
Blocked out venoms body. Just need to do the feet and I will then begin bulking him out.

Attached Thumbnails
# 48 24-09-2007 , 11:56 AM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Leon

Some nice works going on here. I just went thru the whole thread, pretty good, but as ever I have crit. For Wolverine, I'd really give him a bit more of a chiselled face, it reminded me a little bit of Clint Eastwood from Unforgiven, so I'd lose a few wrinkles and go for a more hard guy look.
Also check the proportions on the anatomy, as 'Wolfv' looks a little too stocky. I know its a style thing but I feel if he was a bit 'leaner/taller' it would be better. The chest does need widening as already suggested. I think some references of Arnie in his Mr Universe days would go down a treat for this model.

The other stuff is all good thus far, obviously all in need of tweaks too, with regards to Spidey, why didnt you sculpt the webbing and displace it, especially in MB it has the tools to do it nicely.

Hulk needs some widening for sure, give him the stereotyped oversized mound of muscle look, make the body and limbs huge. Hulk always looks like his head is too small for the rest of him.
Check this out by artist Kolby Jukes, his work is very good, hes a MB user too so...be inspired https://kwak.cgsociety.org/gallery/441308/

Cheers for now

Jay

# 49 24-09-2007 , 02:16 PM
Cheers for your thoughts on this Jay. I was going to use mudbox for the webbing but I seem to run into problems when I render displacement maps. Sometimes its fine and sometimes it can be:angery: :headbang: . Because of this I decided to model the webbing. I will be creating all the hexagons that are on the suit as either a displacement or bump map though.

I have seen Kolby jukes work and it is something else. He sure has got mad skills. The hulk model is insane.

Blocked in venoms feet and have re-done the inner mouth since the last attempt was a bit messy. The uvs are all layed out as well so I am going to start playing around in mb.

Attached Thumbnails
# 50 24-09-2007 , 02:43 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
Whats your dispalcement set up? I may be able to offer help

Cheers
Jay

# 51 24-09-2007 , 03:49 PM
I export my low res model from mudbox after creating a displacement map at 1024. Then in maya use the approximation editor and use subdivision approximation. Method is spatial and I set min divisions to 4 and max to 7. I cannot go any higher than this or maya becomes unstable. I also cannot change the length option since this also causes it to become unstable.

I have attached a image of venom rendered in mental ray which should look like the mudbox version.

If you can give any thoughts on this it would be very welcome.

Attached Thumbnails
# 52 24-09-2007 , 03:59 PM
I think it attached a bump map node linking to the displacement map in the last render. I fixed it and it seems to of worked. It does not look as detailed as the mb version though but I guess this is due to me not being able to push the approximation editor higher.

Attached Thumbnails
# 53 26-09-2007 , 10:10 AM
venom update

Attached Thumbnails
# 54 26-09-2007 , 04:59 PM
Venom needs some work. I think that he needs a longer neck and some work with the arms and hands. His rear-end needs some "tweaking", and his torso could use some more realism (proportions). It's a great model and I thank you for sharing your talent with us!

Sparticus

Expect to excell...
# 55 26-09-2007 , 05:55 PM
Thanks for the kind words sparticus. There is still a hell of a lot more work to do on this model and I will hopefully have a large update after the weekend.

Cheers

Leon

# 56 18-10-2007 , 10:45 AM
Blocked out spidys bod.

Attached Thumbnails
# 57 18-10-2007 , 10:59 AM
venom update.

Attached Thumbnails
# 58 18-10-2007 , 08:12 PM
both of these models are looking a little top heavy to me at the moment. I also think that the anatomy around the abdomen down to the crotch is looking a bit odd - almost as if they both don't have any hips.

# 59 19-10-2007 , 12:55 AM
Subscriber
yep i tottaly agree with arran, i was about to say the same thing.

A great mod for Jedi academy www.moviebattles.com

Computer Rig-

64-bit vista
23.5 inch LCD + a 19 inch
Q6600 intell qaud
4 gigs of ddr2 ram
8800GTS 512 video card @700mhz
# 60 19-10-2007 , 02:12 AM

Originally posted by starjsjswars
yep i tottaly agree with arran, i was about to say the same thing.

That's what I was talking about... the torso and rear-end just don't look right. As arran said, he needs hips.

Sparticus

Expect to excell...