Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 16 06-10-2007 , 03:27 PM
hey Perfecto,

Sounds like everythings coming along really great for you.

Have you tried importing the actual CAD drawings into maya? that might help to speed things up a bit?

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 17 06-10-2007 , 06:35 PM
I imported two of the drawings so far (basement floor plan & rear profile). Later I'll have to read up on importing CAD files because what I did was convert the dwg file into a dxf and them import the dxf file into Maya. The bad part was that it imported it as about 150,000 or more curves. I'm using them as templates only and building everything with actual measurements.

Edit: Modeling is the easy and quick part. The slow part is trying to figure out how to read the drawings correctly and how to frame, etc correctly. I guess if I were to remodel what I have with the knowledge I now have, I could probably completely rebuild what I have so far in about 4 hours. But not knowing any achitectural stuff is brutal. The more I learn the more I feel like I don't know if that makes any sense, lol.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!

Last edited by Perfecto; 06-10-2007 at 06:42 PM.
# 18 06-10-2007 , 08:27 PM
Subscriber
congratulations on everything so far perfecto!
On top of that I'd like to say that your work is really coming together nicely from when I first saw you on here to now. The dedication you put into it is amazing to. I don't think I could build up the patience to model it in such detail that you're also learning how to read architectural drawings (blue-prints right?) So keep it up, great work!

I was also wondering if you're also constructing the inside, putting a little of the few things in that are usually in a new house, cupboards, fridge, stove, maybe chairs, sinks, toilets, bathtub, shower, carpeting? Just curious as to how far you take these models.

# 19 07-10-2007 , 01:30 AM
Thanks Rhetoric Camel!

Yes, I'm planning on adding appliances, cabinets, carpet, lights, switches, plugs, you name it. Probably won't add any chairs though.

Well, I'm off work, my belly's full and so it's MAYA TIME again.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 20 07-10-2007 , 01:37 AM
Subscriber
good luck, can't wait to see the finished product. Should have an animated guided tour or something to really help show it off.

# 21 07-10-2007 , 06:20 AM
Well, I didn't get much modeling done again as I found myself researching framing all night. Here's a little update though.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 22 07-10-2007 , 06:25 AM
Previous Picture: The subfloor material wasn't specified that I could tell so I used staggered 4'x8' OSC board, 5/8" thick.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 23 07-10-2007 , 11:50 PM
I was ready to rock-n-roll on the 1st floor walls but then I realized I needed to make a 4" concrete slab on 6" gravel for the garage. I made a cut out so you could see what I meant. Now I've got to figure out how to frame the walls of the garage. The walls I've started on the 1st floor are part of the living-room (12 foot high ceiling).

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 24 09-10-2007 , 03:50 PM
this is looking perfect perfecto! well done mate! and good to hear that you are sorting out some work! user added image

# 25 10-10-2007 , 07:04 AM
Thanks arran. I'll post some more updates in a couple of days as I'm out of town visiting family.

Exceed Expectations!
# 26 12-10-2007 , 04:21 PM
small update

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!
# 27 12-10-2007 , 10:38 PM
Looking good!! Cant believe your doing this for free ahah

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 28 13-10-2007 , 02:26 PM
Thanks louis56,
Since I'm doing it for a good friend and because I plan on using it my portfolio, I don't mind doing it for free.

Not much time to work on it this evening but I'll post another update about this time tomorrow.

Exceed Expectations!
# 29 13-10-2007 , 09:40 PM
You're a good friend then lol. People would pay thousands for this kind of work. Would love to see your portfolio/reel

Louis

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 30 14-10-2007 , 02:50 PM
I don't have a portfolio yet because I'm just now getting to where I feel I'm a decent modeler. That means I should be able to put together a decent demo reel now. You can go to my website (just click the www button below) and see most of the modeling I've done since I started modeling 7 months ago.

I thought I'd get a whole lot more done in three hours but here's another update anyway.

Attached Thumbnails

Exceed Expectations!