Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 23-10-2008 , 01:42 AM

Pistol W.I.P

I am new to 3D modelling and this is the first model that I have created. here is a pistol that I am currently working on. At the moment I have not textured I am just posting this to get your opinon and tell me how to improve it(I know there is no detail yet I will post it when i have finished)

Attached Thumbnails
# 2 23-10-2008 , 01:55 AM
just makin' a pistol up, or ya got one in mind? if so what's your reference?

looks ok so far, just as long as you haven't applied a smooth (looks like you have) cause then your poly count will be high and it looks like you're not finished adding details. it'll get complicated to manipulate vertices later on if you let it get too poly heavy.

so we can see the model a little better throw another light on the other side... when it looks too dark you can't really make the model out too well.

Accept no substitutions.
# 3 23-10-2008 , 02:00 AM
your right I have smoothed it, would u suggest to smooth everything at the end in future models, I have also posted one with some lighting not good at adding lighting yet. I am also going off of a reference here is the picture https://www.aceros-de-hispania.com/im...air-pistol.jpg and here is the model again

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by mklem3; 23-10-2008 at 02:04 AM.
# 4 25-10-2008 , 11:20 AM
there's really not a reason to smooth at all... if you bevel your edges that should be good enough.

Accept no substitutions.
# 5 25-10-2008 , 11:59 PM
Am I going to make a joke out of the title for this thread? I'll let someone else do it :p

Visit www.Notice-Board.co.nz for FREE online classifieds, notices and ads in your area!!
# 6 26-10-2008 , 12:13 AM
Acid44

Originally posted by louis56
Am I going to make a joke out of the title for this thread? I'll let someone else do it :p

LMAO, i didnt even think of that XD nice!

lookin good so far, keep at it, and neo's right, with guns there's usually no need to smooth

user added image

# 7 26-10-2008 , 12:32 AM
The Nurb Herd

Originally posted by louis56

hahaha i thought the same thing, but wasn't sure how to work it into a post. user added image

# 8 26-10-2008 , 06:55 AM
Super Moderator
That's a pretty detailed subject for someone new to modeling to tackle. Some areas like the handle and trigger need to be rounded out some. I don't think you should smooth something unless you're sure that you're done modeling and even then throw a low res duplicate in a layer or something, just incase.

- Genny