Integrating 3D models with photography
Interested in integrating your 3D work with the real world? This might help
# 1 28-07-2011 , 10:02 PM
Acid44

Portfolio Domains?

I've been thinking about this for a while and others may be too, so I figure I'll ask here.

What are some good places to set up a portfolio online? I know CG Society (or CG total, or whichever it is) has portfolio pages, but what would be some other options for setting one up?

# 2 28-07-2011 , 10:56 PM
Subscriber
I have had my own site since 2005 - and I find thats the best way to go - personal email addresses and can play about with the layouts of your work - but big down side is that its not got the instant community access. But then just link it to your sig or something.

CG Society - your work gets lost within a couple of hours

# 3 29-07-2011 , 04:15 AM
Acid44
That's why I was looking for an alternative, I figured with the massive amount of members it wouldn't stay visible for long.

Had a feeling making my own site would be the best way to go, for the obvious reasons user added image

Are there any decent free domains? Any recommendations on how to set it up? I have pretty limited experience with HTML, and none whatsoever with CSS/Java/Flash/all that stuff. But suppose I could learn a bit.. Could use a new adventure anyways user added image

# 4 29-07-2011 , 05:05 AM
buy a domain.. it is not so expensive.. and you will look more professional..

# 5 29-07-2011 , 05:40 AM
Acid44
Any recommendations for decent cheap ones then? I don't know all that much about this sort of thing, so I don't know what to look for in a domain at all

# 6 29-07-2011 , 09:27 AM
The Nurb Herd
the domain is just the name. i.e www.gimmeajob.com
The portfolio site i'm using is free, but you can link your domain to it (plus other features) for $60 a year.

I need a new url tho.
was thinking about www.dominicedwards3d.com or www.dominic3dwards.com but decided the later was a bit naff.
on godaddy they cost about $8 for a year.

# 7 29-07-2011 , 12:47 PM
Subscriber
our work uses godaddy, i've never seen what it is (mostly because I havent had to be interested, but I guess I should check it out) and non-devs seen to be able to use it just fine.

dom: the latter isnt great.
it is funny though, I read your name as domi-niced-wards.
I have an intern where if you write his name without spaces you see "naked" in the middle of it.

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 8 29-07-2011 , 09:30 PM
Level 32 pachyderm
No! Don't use godaddy: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_843121.html user added image
Although they do make things fairly simple...

If you need a free host I used to use 50webs.com, although now I self host (somewhat unreliably) so I can use PHP without having to pay anything for the hosting.

# 9 29-07-2011 , 10:23 PM
Subscriber
does that mean you've a server computer sitting at home and if lots of people go then it'll crash?

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 10 30-07-2011 , 12:08 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

does that mean you've a server computer sitting at home and if lots of people go then it'll crash?

Nope, it means if a few people go on it it will crash xD
Although considering bandwidth limits then I'm not sure many people could go on my website at the same time...

I'm not sure what you mean by server computer. It's a server computer in that it's a computer I use as a server but it's not specifically designed to be a server.

Last edited by elephantinc; 30-07-2011 at 12:12 AM.
# 11 02-08-2011 , 03:39 AM
Subscriber
+1 for go-daddy.

Nope, it means if a few people go on it it will crash xD

Is it me or did everyone go to your website at once and it crashed? Website is down user added image

# 12 02-08-2011 , 08:30 AM
Level 32 pachyderm

+1 for go-daddy.

Is it me or did everyone go to your website at once and it crashed? Website is down user added image

hehe, nah, I've been doing stuff to my PC, so it's off at the moment.
I'm really curious what my average downtime is, it could well be over 50%...

# 13 02-08-2011 , 04:52 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
Really guys just make your website with wordpress or some other CMS (content management system) and don't go for the free solutions when it comes to hosting they either take over your site with commercials or you don't have any say in the layout.
Nowadays it doesn't cost that much money to buy a domain and hosting it.

furthermore it's smart to put showreels on Vimeo/Youtube ( maybe even create your own channel).

If you want to get a job I suggest you find the company you want to work and send them your reel, because unless you are extremely good at what you do posting images on fora like this ( or CG talk for that matter) won't get picked up or seen...

# 14 02-08-2011 , 08:38 PM
Lead Modeler - Framestore
I personally use netpivotal as a service provider, and use a modified wordpress template that appeals to me, the css and php is pretty easy to understand and Im not at all web savvy.

I have a CGSociety portfolio too, its instant viewing and also drives traffic to my sites

cheers
Jay