Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 1 22-08-2006 , 08:51 AM

Booleans

I was making a few objects in Maya 7, and when i tried to a booleans operation, the two objects just get deleted. I thought it might be a prob with the settings, so i brought a cube and a cylinder into the scene and tried all three booleans operations with them. It worked perfectly with them, but i tried again with my original operations and they both disappeared off the screen again. Any clues anyone???
:headbang:

# 2 22-08-2006 , 09:06 AM
Subscriber
Make sure that the elements both completely intersect one another otherwise they both disappear.

If you believe in telekinesis, raise my right hand.
# 3 22-08-2006 , 09:31 AM
Yeah, I had the Two objects going completely through each other. It works at times, with certain objects, but not with others...

# 4 22-08-2006 , 09:59 AM
Subscriber
I have tried that with car modeling and if I try to Boolean a cylinder into the plane of the car, they both disappear. Don't know if that is similar to you.

# 5 22-08-2006 , 10:31 AM
check to amke sure the normals are facing the same way in both geometrys if your sure they are intersected well.

I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination, knowledge is limited, imagination encircles the world. (Albert Einstein)

https://www.artstation.com/kurtb
# 6 22-08-2006 , 11:35 AM
Subscriber
Thanks Kurt. I am having problems when I tried to use the layout, or template, we create for the front lights in the Ferrari tutorial and the plane turns to black when I position the vertices. I used the Boolean, with success, to Boolean the template to another plane. It seem to have recreated the vertices and the all. Is this also a way to use Booleans?