Beer glass scene creation
This course contains a little bit of everything with modeling, UVing, texturing and dynamics in Maya, as well as compositing multilayered EXR's in Photoshop.
# 1 12-07-2008 , 02:55 AM

Creature puppet

Sorry I don't stop by more often but here's a look at a puppet I'm working on now.

user added image
I modeled this guy in Zbrush but now I'm rigging it in Maya. The plan is to build a control rig with a low rez copy of the model for animation then, using a script, the bound hi-res model rig gets constrained to the control rig which has all the animation data on it. This approached helps keep the scene lighter and also allows one person to work on the animation while another person is weighting the bound skin and making blendshapes. Plus, you can delete the control rig anytime you want and replace it with a different one so, for example, if you need a special rig that allows your puppet to climb up walls and another rig that allows it to spin around on its back, you can have seperate rigs instead of trying to figure out how to make a single rig that does EVERYTHING.

By the way, this model is a little over 18000 polys and uses a normal map instead of a bump map.

Last edited by Velusion; 12-07-2008 at 02:58 AM.
# 2 12-07-2008 , 04:46 AM
I don't know how I feel about the sculpt itself. The details are too deep, and where you need more detail (the face), there is almost none. Thats what most people do with Zbrush, because they want to noticeably show every little detail you make. I say work on the forms before going into detail.

good luck,
-Andy

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 3 12-07-2008 , 05:16 AM
hey velusion - good to see you. i really like the model a lot - just not sure about the eye area - if he's doesn't have eyes then i think that area needs to be more interesting or better defined. really like those pincer claws and the texture map so far. let's see more views. user added image

# 4 12-07-2008 , 06:48 AM
Thanks for the comments, guys!

Some people like this model and some don't but the really amazing thing is that I was able to sculpt it and paint it in less than 5 hours. The polymesh is pretty good for animation but I admit that I probably should have rebuilt it to make it even better. This isn't what you would call a "hero" model but I'm looking forward to finishing up the rigging then doing some animation and adding it to a few live action plates. The real reason for this little project is to test out some new rigging and modeling techniques that I've been learning.

Here are some more pictures:

This one shows the model without the normal map turned on.
user added image

another view

user added image

one more
user added image

# 5 22-09-2008 , 02:15 AM
Here is a test animation I did a few weeks ago. The purpose for the test was to see if the corrective blendshapes for the arms were working and also to try out a simple walk cycle. Sorry that the video is a little over exposed. It looks good on my other computer.... Guess I need to adjust my monitors. enjoy!
creature ani test