Maya 2020 fundamentals - modelling the real world
Get halfway through a model and find it's an unworkable mess? Can't add edge loops where you need them? Can't subdivide a mesh properly? If any of this sounds familiar check this course out.
# 1 24-07-2010 , 07:40 AM

How do I select only the upper vertices of a complex object?

How do I select only the upper vertices of a complex object?

Meaning when I select the vertices I need in top view, Maya 11 will select all vertices, i.e. also the ones beneath that I do not see...how can I limit the selection to the vertices I see only?

# 2 24-07-2010 , 11:30 AM
Subscriber
with your selection tool go into the tool settings and check 'camera based selection'

i assume the placements for the tool settings button option is the same as it seems to always has been, it's the middle button on the top right corner (the three buttons show the attribute editor, tool settings, and channel box)

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 3 24-07-2010 , 04:53 PM

Originally posted by Chirone
with your selection tool go into the tool settings and check 'camera based selection'

I didn't find the settings...user added image

---------------------------------------------------------------
try back face culling,it annoyed me so many times...user added image

# 4 24-07-2010 , 05:07 PM
You can get to the settings simply by double clicking the move tool in the tool box. Or, you can get to the settings by Modify>Transformation Tools>Move Tool Options box...or rotate tools options box, etc.

Here's a screenshot of the Move Tool Settings.

Attached Thumbnails

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 5 24-07-2010 , 09:22 PM
thanks Perfecto,
but how it works?
when I checked that option nothing will selected.

# 6 24-07-2010 , 10:16 PM
select an Sphere, activate the move tool, change tool setting to Camera Based Selection. Then go into...lets say...a top view. Marquee drag around all the vertices. If you go back into a side view..you'll see that only the top half of the vertices were selected. Because the camera from a top view could not see the vertices on the lower half.

edit: Also, if you are in a perspective view, marquee drag around all the vertices, then rotate your camera. You'll see that the vertices on the other side were not selected.

Don't be satisfied with what you can do but rather strive to do the things you can't do!
Exceed Expectations!
# 7 24-07-2010 , 10:22 PM
I think I understand what you are wanting.

Forget the camera based selection.

Just turn on Backface Culling.

If Backface Culling is grayed out (not selectable) turn on smooth shade. That should allow you to select backface culling.

That will prevent you from selecting faces, verts, etc on the opposite side of your mesh.

Attached Images

Exceed Expectations!
# 8 24-07-2010 , 11:05 PM
thaanks perfecto for your brief explanation,

I know back face culling,but it annoying me some times.

I understood about 'camera based selection',
but its not working as you said in my system,I'll try it in my institute.

# 9 25-07-2010 , 02:13 PM
I think the best option will be to go to vertex mode and then use paint selection tool to select all the vertices u need.