Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 1
This course will look at the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. We'll look at what makes a good model in Maya and why objects are modeled in the way they are.
# 16 24-03-2005 , 05:57 PM
Hmmm. You could also try to render from the file itself. Find the scene file, Right Click over it and choose RENDER. See if that works.

Dave Baer
Professor of Digital Arts
Digital Media Arts College
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 17 24-03-2005 , 09:00 PM
Alright, i'll give the command line render a try, and the right click render a try when i get home, i'll post the results.

Edit: Right clicking and clicking render brings up a dos prompt, it says this, and no more.

Starting "C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya6.0\bin\mayabatch.exe"
Maya (R), Version 6.0.1, 200407132209
Copyright 1997-2004 Alias Systems Corp.
All rights reserved.
mental ray for Maya 6

I am going to try to do a command line render.

Edit again: I have read through the tutorials that are on the help page, and i cant figure out how to do a command line render.

Last edited by flamez; 24-03-2005 at 09:45 PM.
# 18 27-03-2005 , 06:02 AM
Everyone ran out of ideas?

# 19 27-03-2005 , 05:00 PM
Have u tried reinstalling Maya? user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 20 27-03-2005 , 05:20 PM
Subscriber
I have no more ideas. Looks like you've stumped us. Time to call tech support at alais?

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 21 28-03-2005 , 01:56 AM
Yes i've reinstalled maya.

# 22 28-03-2005 , 04:43 AM
Bring your notebook with you to class this week and we'll see if we can solve the issue there. Obviously, you've stumped everyone here. user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 23 28-03-2005 , 02:41 PM
Its a desktop PC =\ I cant exactly just shove it in the car, because if i unplug it, it wont start up again for about 2 hours or so.

# 24 28-03-2005 , 04:43 PM
Ooooh. All this time I thought you were talking about a notebook. user added image

Dave Baer
Boca Raton, Florida
dbaer@dmac.edu
# 25 30-03-2005 , 06:00 AM
Identical machines and one works and one doesn't....same settings.....hmmmm

You say it renders fine on the other computer...which means the file is ok.....no corrupt camera, scripts etc.

You've reinstalled Maya.....didn't help......right?

This points to something wrong elsewhere on your computer.

Test this theory....bring the file to someone else...totally different machine.....see if it happens.

Its a desktop PC =\ I cant exactly just shove it in the car, because if i unplug it, it wont start up again for about 2 hours or so.

what does that mean......because that right there says to me....problems!!

I think there are other issues that maybe need some attention....I don't have your machine so I don't know.

Go to a command prompt....don't double click the exe.....then run the file from there....mayabatch.exe is located...or should be located in C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya 6.0\bin

I haven't tried this on an actual file that requires it yet.....but I typed 'mayabatch' and it gave me some version stuff etc....so maybe worth a try.

Have you reinstalled windows?.....you might have to....and if it was me I would have done that already.....it just less hassle in the end.

It's really late now....spent about 2 hours on this...wow...I sure hope this get's working again for you user added image

# 26 30-03-2005 , 10:40 PM
Have you tried closing all programs running in your system tray, there may be something in there causing problems. Sometimes graphics drivers may have a bug so you could try changing to a newer or older driver. Also try installing your copy of maya on another system. That way you will know if the problem is with your copy of maya or something with windows.
Hope you get this sorted soon.

# 27 30-03-2005 , 11:07 PM
Subscriber
If you and your brother are running the exact same hardware, what are the differences in software? If none of the above suggestions helped, you probably have either a software conflict or a hardware fault.

AIM: mhcannonDMC

"If you love your job, you'll never work another day in your life."
# 28 02-04-2005 , 05:02 AM
I'll try reinstalling windows. Yes i've tried closing everything down. The difference in our versions, is my bro is using 6.0, and im using 6.0.1, but i had 6.0 and it didnt work. I had it on another machine, with a different card, and it doesnt render there, i'll try take the file to school with me and im sure it will render on those computers, i just dont know what the hell is wrong with it =\.