Substance Painter
In this start to finish texturing project within Substance Painter we cover all the techniques you need to texture the robot character.
# 1 15-01-2008 , 06:53 PM
Jr.Who

Something I found funny

I was looking through the Maxwell Render manual a while ago and at the start it has the install instructions. Just a quick look made me smirk. user added image

installation:

Windows:
Run the installation file (maxwell.exe) and follow the installation procedure. The Maxwell
executable files will be added to the system path. A user environment variable named
Maxwell_RooT pointing to the installation folder will be added. if this variable doesn’t exist
or is not created properly, the application will fail.

Mac os x:
Unstuff the installation package and drag & drop the contents into the applications folder.

linux:
installing tar.gz. Copy maxwell64-1.6.linux64.tar.gz to /opt and uncompress and untar the package.
Type both gzip -d maxwell64-1.6.linux64.tar.gz and tar xvf maxwell64-1.6.linux64.tar
Create a user environment variable named Maxwell_RooT that points to the Maxwell
installation folder. depending on your shell, the procedure may differ slightly. for example, in
Bash shell use:
export MAXWELL_ROOT=”/opt/maxwell64”
export PATH=”/opt/maxwell64/:$PATH”
in csh shell:
setenv MAXWELL_ROOT ”/opt/maxwell64”
setenv PATH ”/opt/maxwell64:$PATH”

Which looks more appealing?

# 2 15-01-2008 , 07:01 PM
Lifetime Member
windows, click on the .exe and you are done .
Mac is no different to pc except more expensive.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 3 15-01-2008 , 11:35 PM
i have to agree to JSprogg

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 4 15-01-2008 , 11:43 PM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by jsprogg
windows, click on the .exe and you are done .

A Windows automatic installer?! So innovative! The part I love the most is at the end where it says it will fail. :lmao:

# 5 16-01-2008 , 12:19 AM
it says it will fail if for some reason the application malfunctions. it doesn't say it WILL fail.

Environment Artist @ Plastic Piranha
www.joopson.com
# 6 16-01-2008 , 04:03 AM
Agreed John,

If you want to have a laugh have a look at motionbuilders MAC controls its like mouse click + apple + alt + F to move the camera, inovation!!! It must be good practice if your a piano player.

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 7 16-01-2008 , 06:47 AM
The Linux one looks appealing... typing arcane commands into bash makes me feel like I'm searching the garbage file of a Gibson user added image (obscure movie reference)

C. P. U. Its not a big processor... Its a series of pipes!
# 8 16-01-2008 , 08:16 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by gster123
Agreed John,

If you want to have a laugh have a look at motionbuilders MAC controls its like mouse click + apple + alt + F to move the camera, inovation!!! It must be good practice if your a piano player.

And that would be Apple's fault?

# 9 16-01-2008 , 08:57 AM

Originally posted by Jr.Who
And that would be Apple's fault?

Due to the inovation of the single button mouse, bit of a pain if your using a laptop!

"No pressure, no diamonds" Thomas Carlyle
# 10 16-01-2008 , 09:38 AM
Lifetime Member
Also I am not over fond of the command key, why can't they just use Ctrl like a normal OS?
Or is it just a self promotion gimmick I wonder.

2 x Modeling Challenge Winner
# 11 16-01-2008 , 10:17 AM
When I build my own brand of incompatible computer, I shall rename the control key to the overlord key user added image

I for one bow before our new overlords! :bow:

The graphic on the key shall resember the user bowing before the machine overlord...

# 12 16-01-2008 , 10:18 AM
When I build my own brand of incompatible computer, I shall rename the control key to the overlord key user added image

I for one bow before our new overlords! :bow:

The graphic on the key shall be a stylish minimalist representation of the user bowing before the machine overlord...

# 13 16-01-2008 , 11:28 AM
Jr.Who

Originally posted by jsprogg
Also I am not over fond of the command key, why can't they just use Ctrl like a normal OS?
Or is it just a self promotion gimmick I wonder.

It's pretty much the equivalent of the control key on a PC, yet we have both the command and control keys. Command is usually what you would use to execute a command (shortcut) and control is used for a couple other things, one of them being the ability to right-click by holding control and left clicking.

# 14 21-01-2008 , 02:29 PM
just saw the hackers reference... i just watched that movie yesterday after work!

HACK THE PLANET!! user added image

Accept no substitutions.
# 15 21-01-2008 , 02:36 PM
HACK THE PLANET!! user added image

Too bad I lost the Hackers tape a while back... must get DVD one day! user added image