Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 08-03-2008 , 07:23 AM

question on computers for rendering

So I do all of my maya work at school because fo the 1600x1200 screen resolution. However at home I have 2.5gigs of ram vs the 1 gig here, and my graphics card is much better, though I have the same cpu. I have maya 2008 at home and work on maya 8.5 here.

Can I/should I bring my project home for when I want to render it do you think?

# 2 08-03-2008 , 09:40 AM
Subscriber
yes.
There would be no disadvantage to doing that. Plus you can render simultaneously to help you cut down render times.

What you need to do first though is verify that data sent from home to school will work on 8.5 I know that maya has better backwards compatibility these days but if you use a feature that is in 2008 and not in 8.5 you could lose time and data.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 3 08-03-2008 , 12:15 PM
Maniacal boy king of Babylon
# 4 08-03-2008 , 12:48 PM
If I rendered it on different computers, I wouldn't know how to put the files into one seamless movie clip... any advice on that?

And whats a network render?

# 5 08-03-2008 , 02:24 PM
make sure you render to still frames, and maya will render out the same way at home and at work. since they'll render to the same file format and filename type, the compositing/editing program you use won't have a problem putting it all together as a sequence if you connected it correctly.

Accept no substitutions.
# 6 08-03-2008 , 06:37 PM
Subscriber
A network render is a way of networking computers together to shared the render load. Typically in a classroom or an office there is a local network that the computers are on and this can be used to perform a network render.

As far as compositing clips together, like Neostrider said if you render as still frames and bring them into your compositor you should have very little problem.

Peace, love and Anarchy~~~~~~~
Arch Viz Reel

My Website is Finally Back up!

“Welcome to the Internet. Where the men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.”
# 7 18-03-2008 , 10:37 PM
if you have problems with the small amount of ram use BOT textures ,cache all dynamics properly and play with the mental ray settings for the bsp tree.
Also make sure you read up on the renderng issues in different versions, ie render layers and mental ray in 8.5.