Introduction to Maya - Rendering in Arnold
This course will look at the fundamentals of rendering in Arnold. We'll go through the different light types available, cameras, shaders, Arnold's render settings and finally how to split an image into render passes (AOV's), before we then reassemble it i
# 121 02-09-2008 , 07:54 PM
The Maya Mountain
not sure why it's not lighting, but nice job so far! Really like the details.

It looks a little odd to be made of wood in some parts, but maybe that's the way they were done back in the old days.

# 122 03-09-2008 , 03:15 AM
19 year Veteran

I only rendered with HDRI. I didn't understand whether I should combine HDRI with normal lighting or not, and if I do, is there a special way I need too set up the lights?

Can you show a pic of the HDRI image your using?

As far as combining HDRI with regular lighting; yes, please do it. Use the other lights you have set up for the scene. HDRI alone wont produce the results your wanting. You can also bump up the intensity of an HDRI image by increasing the color gain located in your image based lighting attributes.

I provided a pic to better explain the process. I have my HDRI at 1.500 for a old project that I did. Default is at 1.000 so experiment with some numbers until the HDRI lighting is to your liking.

hope this helps out.user added image

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by THX1138; 03-09-2008 at 03:19 AM.
# 123 03-09-2008 , 11:47 AM
Thanks again,
Here's Maya Software VS. Mental Ray
https://img205.imageshack.us/img205/7909/temp2wd7.th.jpg

Besides the poor anti-aliasing quality I get weird coloring issue and the render time is 25 times higher...
I'll improve anti-aliasing as much as I know how and post another one soon hopefully...
Benny

When in doubt, delete history and freeze transformations.

My latest snake game
(Requires DirectX9 SDK and Framework)
# 124 03-09-2008 , 05:33 PM
Here's an update:
https://img364.imageshack.us/img364/8717/temply0.th.png
I still don't see anything better then Maya Software render on a noticeable level...

I increased the number samples for anti-aliasing, added contrast threshold and increased the filter size (what are the last two settings anyway? I copied them from the Maya Software high quality render settings)
I also fixed the HDRI since the last render was done without it (I moved the file and forgot to update it...).
Here's a weird thing: Render time after these changes went down from 50 min to 38 user added image

Anyway, a render question this time ( It's a new territory for me so excuse if I'm asking to much of those) :
Is there a way to set up your computer in a way that only the most basic programs will run for render purposes (no internet connection/anti-virus/servers/anything else that I don't need)?

C&C please,
Benny

My latest snake game
# 125 04-09-2008 , 02:02 AM
19 year Veteran

I increased the number samples for anti-aliasing, added contrast threshold and increased the filter size (what are the last two settings anyway? I copied them from the Maya Software high quality render settings)

Increase your final gather accuracy and it's point samples. Try a 500 accuracy setting, and a min 50 max 500 point's setting. Now this will increase render time but should show a cleaner and more detailed render. I have been using mental ray for about 5 years and it blows away the maya software renderer.

Anyway, a render question this time ( It's a new territory for me so excuse if I'm asking to much of those) :

If you are using windows XP go to START/RUN and type in msconfig. This opens the system configuration utility. Select the start up tab and and it will show you all of your background processes that are running. Select anything you don't want running. Other methods would be to do a clean sweep with any spybot and virus remover programs. Also, preform a defrag of your hard drives every couple of weeks or so.

This is if your running windows XP. I don't know squat about vista as I don't have it.

Here is a unfinished pic from an old maya challenge I entered. It is of a film projector ( I need to finish this thing some day). It was rendered with mental ray, one point light, one area light, and image based lighting. I could not have achieve this kind of quality with the maya software renderer.

Attached Thumbnails
# 126 04-09-2008 , 10:07 AM
Increased quality, lowered resolution so it won't render all day. I also played with the lights some more so we'll see what happens user added image .

Since I'm rendering with mental ray now I think I'll improve the materials... Can someone please explain what's Scatter and Irradiance?

It's rendering right now so I hope I'll have something to show for soon.

Thanks again, THX1138
Benny

My latest snake game
# 127 05-09-2008 , 01:31 AM
19 year Veteran

Since I'm rendering with mental ray now I think I'll improve the materials... Can someone please explain what's Scatter and Irradiance?

I believe those are for when your lighting up interiors. Helps objects to scatter and absorb light/color better. I don't do much with interiors. I have dabbled with them at best but thats all. Look in your help files, there should be info listed for those functions.

Last edited by THX1138; 05-09-2008 at 01:39 AM.
# 128 06-09-2008 , 10:29 PM
Mental Ray VS Maya Software (again)
https://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6632/tempor9.th.jpg

I got tired of the render being stopped half way through after 3:07 h of rendering so I rendered the whole scene in pieces and saved occasionally.

this is already starting to look better, but I'm still not happy with the result.

I had no luck with the compositing tutorial so I have another question now:
Can I render just the shadows of the fridge together with the environment so I can put them one on top of the other in Photoshop?
Is it advisable? I guess not since the fridge will not contain the reflections of the environment, but I simply can't fing a way to render it in one piece...

Benny

My latest snake game
# 129 06-09-2008 , 11:17 PM
Subscriber
izzy knows all about layers, he's got them mastered

but yeah, you can just render just the shadows and the background

just put everything onto a seperate render layer and then turn off the visibility of all the fridge pieces in the render stats (not the channel box)

you can do turn them off quickly if you select them all and then opent he Attribute Spread Sheet

that's a "Ch" pronounced as a "K"

Computer skills I should have:
Objective C, C#, Java, MEL. Python, C++, XML, JavaScript, XSLT, HTML, SQL, CSS, FXScript, Clips, SOAR, ActionScript, OpenGL, DirectX
Maya, XSI, Photoshop, AfterEffects, Motion, Illustrator, Flash, Swift3D
# 130 07-09-2008 , 11:38 AM
19 year Veteran

I got tired of the render being stopped half way through after 3:07 h of rendering so I rendered the whole scene in pieces and saved occasionally.

Sometimes having too much history built up can cause renders to lagg. Be sure and delete your history as often as you can.

As far as rendering a shadow pass with your enviorment; I recommend rendering those separately but thats just my preference. Rendering in separate passes is always a faster method of getting the job done faster.

BTW, could you post a wire of your scene?

# 131 07-09-2008 , 11:30 PM
Wireframe
part1:
https://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1...9167kn8.th.jpg
part2:
https://img186.imageshack.us/img186/5...7037fg3.th.jpg

I think I'll give up on further work on this project since I can't do 6h renders occasionally on my computer, and I don't have time to learn anything new because of school and my trainings...

C&C are still welcome since I can stick a few minutes here and there for finishing touches...
newest render: (EDIT: even newer)
https://img185.imageshack.us/img185/6832/tempjw3.th.jpg
Benny

My latest snake game

Last edited by BennyK; 08-09-2008 at 12:10 AM.
# 132 08-09-2008 , 02:43 AM
The Maya Mountain
lots of really nice details!

# 133 08-09-2008 , 10:23 AM
19 year Veteran
Dude, thats alot of poly's! I see why the renders are taking so long. I agree, further work would just add more time to your renders, and since they are clocking in at around 6 hr's, thats a long time to wait.

Fantastic work! user added image

# 134 09-09-2008 , 03:09 AM
Thanks Mike, THX1138,

Originally posted by THX1138
Dude, thats alot of poly's! I see why the renders are taking so long. I agree, further work would just add more time to your renders, and since they are clocking in at around 6 hr's, thats a long time to wait.

Fantastic work! user added image

Do I take is as an agreement that I've seen this project through?I might go back to if for render testing once I get a stronger computer but I doubt it.

OK, to sum up then:
First of all, BIG THANKS to everyone who helped me. Especially Arran and THX1138 :bow: :bow: :bow: I learned a lot from you guys, Thanks a lot!

Skills acquired are mainly moderate texturing and some basic mental ray renders. Smaller stuff is basic use of paint effects and basic lighting techniques.

Hope to see more work from the rest of you guys! Let's have lots of final renders this time!
Let the best man win. And let it be me. ( :lmao: just kidding. Does someone know what movie this is from?)

Two last questions(For this thread. I hope.):
*What should be the resolution for the final render?
*When can I expect a final render thread?

Thanks a lot again, It's been very fun (besides the part when I had to wait for mental ray renders and hope they don't stop)
Benny

My latest snake game
# 135 09-09-2008 , 11:10 AM
19 year Veteran

OK, to sum up then:
First of all, BIG THANKS to everyone who helped me. Especially Arran and THX1138 I learned a lot from you guys, Thanks a lot!

Your most welcome Bennyk. I like to believe thats what we are all here for. user added image

Two last questions(For this thread. I hope.):
*What should be the resolution for the final render?
*When can I expect a final render thread?

If your linking from a pic hosting service, use any size you choose, but please don't make it ridiculously huge where you have to scroll a ways to see all of it.

If your attaching an image here on the forum from your hard drive, I recommend 640 X 480 or something close to that if larger. Attaching really large pics wastes site bandwidth. If your really concerned just ask Mike.

I expect mike to post the final entry thread any day now.