Complex UV Layout in Maya
Over the last couple of years UV layout in Maya has changed for the better. In this course we're going to be taking a look at some of those changes as we UV map an entire character
# 1 30-10-2016 , 12:18 PM

Problem with normals

I have this problem with normals. It looks like Maya doesn't know which way they're pointing. I have two planes with bump textures and in viewport it looks like they're facing the same way but when rendered they are not. Well ... if I use SW renderer (mental ray/Maya Software) then they are not facing the same way but when I use HW renderer (Maya Hardware/Maya Harware 2.0) or when I just look at it in Viewport (and check with default matrerial and Two Sided Lighting off) then they are.

user added image

Both of those planes have deleted history and freezed transformation. I think the problem is tied up with negative scaling (one of those planes is mirored copy of the other). Strange thing is that boolean operations agree with SW renderers. When I try to cut a hole in a plate with a negatively scaled cylinder then I have to use an Intersection instead of a Difference. That means that the tool thinks that the cylinder is inside out but i can clearly see in Viewport that it's not.

This problem has occured to me on my laptop with Maya 2015 and now on my desktop with Maya 2016.