Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 28-04-2003 , 11:13 AM

Polygon's Intersecting

Hey

What I want to do is a little hard to explain, so I'm going to show with pictures.

user added image

I want to get rid of the area's which are circled in red in the above pic.

Now, I tried going about this by tediously deleting each face like this:
user added image

But this doesn't seem very good because it leaves an ugly edge, as shown in the picture below, and nor does it join the objects...
user added image

How do I go about doing this?

# 2 28-04-2003 , 11:56 AM
I think you could alter the start and end sweep in the channel box

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 3 28-04-2003 , 12:06 PM

Originally posted by z1mmnd14
I think you could alter the start and end sweep in the channel box

It is a polygon cylinder.

What do you mean by the "start and end sweep"??
user added image

# 4 28-04-2003 , 12:43 PM
The start and end sweep is a way to cut out a section of the object but is only for NURBS objects.

Yeah, but no but yeah but no....
# 5 28-04-2003 , 01:15 PM
Subscriber
If there are difrent ideas about this don't let me get in the way..
and I hope this is what your wanting to do..

First delet the rest of the faces you want to get rid of.. you can select more than one face at a time btw.. you can use the lasso tool also and get rid of the whole section all at once.

on the edges that stick out just past ware you want them to.. select one of thoughs edges, and thin Edit Polygons > Fill Hole. do that for both ends of the half circle shape. This step is mostly for the boolean action latter in this text.

Thin grab the vertice at the ends of the poly that sticks out.. all 4.. and pull the end of the poly inside your long crossmember poly.. that you have making the X shape..

If you want to be neet about it you can boolean the 2 poly objects with a union setting and make it one object. : select the 2 poly objects while in object mode. Polygons > Booleans > Union