Digital humans the art of the digital double
Ever wanted to know how digital doubles are created in the movie industry? This course will give you an insight into how it's done.
# 1 01-05-2003 , 02:02 PM
Subscriber

May Challenge 2003!

Hey guys, its time for a new competition. This month should be a good one as it has been brought up time and time again amongst people. The challenge is:

Cartoon you!

Yes thats right, take yourself and model a cartoon version of it. The wonderful thing about this challenge is that you can use a cartoon you for anything! You can use it for your website, you can use it for your avatar (eg. Mtmckinley's) and you can use it for just about anything displaying your 3d art. I will say now though, you MUST INCLUDE A PICTURE OF YOURSELF FOR REFRENCE user added image. Sorry i wasnt getting mad, just wanted to make sure that stood out.

Ok, now if you join either state that you are joining as a Noobie, or Normal entry and mods state that your doing a MOD entry. write like the following:

"April Challenge - Name - Noobie"
or
"April Challenge - name - Normal"
or
"April Challenge - name - MOD"

Rules:
1. Texturing is allowed.
2. Wire frame shots must be presented at random times.
3. Various shots of the progress, throughout the whole challenge, at different angles.
4. Must include picture of yourself for refrence.
5. Submit your stills at 640x480, for loading purposes.
6. Final render can be at any size you wish, and all artowork in the render has to of been made by yourself.
7. Finish by last day of month - at midnight of -8GMT (PST).
8. Mark final render saying "FINAL RENDER" within the post. there can only be 1 final render by the way.
8. Everything in your final render has to be modelled by you during the challenge.
9. Have lots of fun and learn lots!

If you have any questions post them here, or PM me if its more private.

"I should call you sugar maple tree cause i'd totally tap that" haha

email - mattwettstein@gmail.com
# 2 01-05-2003 , 02:17 PM

May Challenge - Snich - Noobie

Cool Idea! I had already thought of trying this next and have done a quick sketch. I'll post it once I get it scanned in. Gee, am I the first one in??

"It's supposed to be hard, if it was easy, everyone would do it."
# 3 01-05-2003 , 02:19 PM
Oops, I need to make my own thread.. sorry!

# 4 01-05-2003 , 02:20 PM
Kevin
nice idea M!

I might have a go but of to yank land in a week user added image

# 5 01-05-2003 , 02:29 PM
Subscriber
Hey guys, you gotta see what i have planned for this challenge. Later today when i get back i will be starting, and you are all free to follow what i will do user added image. (half of you may already of done it by the time i get back).. cya then

# 6 01-05-2003 , 04:05 PM
The Maya Mountain
Been there, done that. lol j/k user added image Looking forward to seeing what everyone gets done though! user added image

# 7 01-05-2003 , 04:19 PM
Mike: maybe you could do a different version of yourself. Like a kooky angel/devil that whispers bad advice in your ear or something. I don't know, just hate to see you sit this one out.

# 8 01-05-2003 , 04:21 PM
The Maya Mountain
I suppose I could do a low-poly version. user added image That might be fun. But... I might be a bit busy this next few weeks! user added image

# 9 01-05-2003 , 04:36 PM
# 10 02-05-2003 , 02:22 AM
Subscriber
Nice challenge, unfortunately I am the rigging stage of the cartoon character I have been doing of me lately so I won't be taking part this month. Look forward to seeing everyones entries and at least I might finish last months entry properly in the time!

# 11 02-05-2003 , 03:12 AM
Mine would end up like bart simpson... hehe...

Israel "Izzy" Long
Motion and Title Design for Broadcast-Film-DS
izzylong.com
# 12 02-05-2003 , 04:09 AM
Subscriber
HAhahaH Izzy! Matt great idea! Was talkting to mike in IRC (EVERYONE GOTO #simplymaya at irc.simplyvfx.com ) and he said he'd post an pic up for everyone to get an idea. Can't wait to get started.

"When you are born, you have a resposiblilty to program you're own mind, if you do not accept this responsiblilty, then the world will do it for you"
Aol Instant messenger: mrcoolbp2
# 13 02-05-2003 , 04:49 AM
The Maya Mountain
Alrighty, you should be able to start with www.mtmckinley.net/cgtalk/cg_toon1.jpg and change the number at the end all the way up to 63.jpg to see my progress for my avatar guy. user added image

You can also check out my news page as I have a random html script that randomly shows my toon guy in different costumes. Pretty funny. I try to add a new one every few months or so. user added image

EDIT: and here's a closer pic of me. (lotsa hair coming your way! user added image ) www.mtmckinley.net/bearded_wonder.jpg

# 14 02-05-2003 , 05:06 AM
Subscriber

# 15 02-05-2003 , 12:25 PM
Subscriber
i figure Mikes set the bench mark for this one now lets all go beat it user added image
beared wonder hahah user added image

Thanks for wasting your time reading this line.