Introduction to Maya - Modeling Fundamentals Vol 2
This course will look in the fundamentals of modeling in Maya with an emphasis on creating good topology. It's aimed at people that have some modeling experience in Maya but are having trouble with complex objects.
# 1 17-10-2004 , 06:16 AM

Muscle placement experiment

ok.. this is the first human head i've ever tried to make.. and i'm modeling it based of kurts ninja tutorial.. only thing is i messed up somewhere along the way on the eyes.. so i've been freeballing it since then and using his video tutorials as a reference on how to do certain things.. overall its a great tutorial.. thanks kurt... any crits and comments on it as of yet would be nice thanks in advance

Attached Images

AIM: Psuedo Realizm
# 2 17-10-2004 , 06:20 AM
so far i've spent about 4 or 5 hours on this thing, trying to get it to look like this.. i plan to keep doing this tutorial over and over until i can pump out quality human head models in about a half hour or less... all i gotta do is follow the golden rule.. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE... heres another pic of it with a blinn shader on.. again crits and comments would be great

Attached Images

# 3 17-10-2004 , 07:22 PM
looks great! the eyes look kind of surprised and the mouth is a wee bit off, but other than that its awesome, keep it up jameseth.

I Can't Understand What I'm Thinking
# 4 17-10-2004 , 10:03 PM
Technical Director
Yes it does look good mate!

Nice work!

Imagination is more important than knowledge.
# 5 18-10-2004 , 12:17 AM
i fixed the eyes.. their a bit more narrow (or more asian like) now... not quite sure what you mean about the mouth though.. the only problem i can think of with it is the lips are very well defined yet.. i guess i could work on that

# 6 18-10-2004 , 12:24 AM
like i said before i mainly need want to learn how to model muscle placements with this excersize.. that fact that i'm modeling a human head that i'm getting pretty proud of is just a bonus... i gave him kind of an angry look now.. but i'm not really happy with how i tweaked the cheekbones.. work on that a bit more... i dont mean to advertise here.. but if anyone has the chance to check out kurts Ninja tutorial i definitely recommend it

Attached Images

# 7 18-10-2004 , 01:51 AM
Subscriber
per request over IRC.

Some ideas for changes in the mesh.
Blue is some edges to add. Red to delite. and green to move the verts that way.
It was to tight around the eye. that one edge. IMHO.
The cheak bones at the side of the face need to come out and up more.
Lower part of the cheecks get to pinched.

I see some changes on the last smoothed.. just remember the creases off from the side of the nose go down beside the mouth not strait out.

Attached Images
# 8 18-10-2004 , 02:59 AM
ok.. after following your advice pony this is what i got.. i didnt quite know what you wanted me to do with the lines that went across the side of the face.. so instead of deleting them.. i just moved them into the positions you wanted me to create new lines.. so if it wont work that way just let me know.. as far as adding the lines around the eyes and mouth i think i have a pretty good understand as why you had me do that.. especially around the mouth region.. that should help me when defining the cheek area more... anyways thanks again.. anymore crits and comments from anyone else is always appreciateduser added image later everyone

Attached Images

# 9 18-10-2004 , 01:36 PM
Subscriber
Nice one, it's looking so much better already. Keep up the good work,
Mat.

# 10 18-10-2004 , 09:50 PM
Subscriber
I've been following this thread for a while now because my own WIP is a head model too.

First of all great stuff, god knows how difficult it is to get the head right- but this is more than on its way.

I noticed you said you messed up on the eyes. Its something that has been causing me problems in my own work for a while. I just cudn't seem to get enough edge loops in around the eye.

Then I realised that you can make edge loops that don't just go around one eye, but both eyes. Kinda like goggles. It frees up a lot of your geometry. I saw it on a website once, but i can't remember which one :o

I'll have a look for it and post the address. In the meantime my WIP has a pic that might help you out.

WIP

Thanks for letting ur learning process also be part of mine, hope that helps in some way or another.

# 11 18-10-2004 , 10:02 PM
Subscriber
Here's that website. It really gave me a boost.

Website

# 12 19-10-2004 , 03:26 PM
hey man.. i definitely see what your saying about the goggle idea, thanks for pointing that out.. i'll definitely be using that idea in more of my work.. hehe i seem to have unknowingly did that already on this project anyways thanks for the help

# 13 25-10-2004 , 08:48 PM
ok its been a few days since i got a chance to work on it... but i'm on graveyard shift at my work now so i definitely have more maya time these days... couldnt be happier

sleep is for the weak:p

hehe heres my latest update.. the ears were horrible and I still got tweaking to do on them... just when i thought i almost had them finished i'd have to start over becuase something went wrong... that happened about 3 times.. but i guess if i look at it like the glass is half full.. i'm now 3 times better at modeling earsuser added image

heres some visual eye candy for you guys (not to be modest or anything hehe)

EDIT: wow i didnt realise how bad the upper lip was.. that will definitely be the first thing i fix

Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by Psuedo Realizm; 25-10-2004 at 08:50 PM.
# 14 26-10-2004 , 07:50 PM
Subscriber
Sweet dude. Which method have u found most useful to use for making the ears. God knows how much trouble they're causing me. I've found myself falling asleep at 7 in the morning sitting in front of them with the split edge tool, and i always scrap what i had so far and start again with fresh eyes the next day user added image

# 15 27-10-2004 , 12:35 AM
i cut the shape of the ear out of a poly plane with the split poly tool and then extrude the edges out after that the basic shape of the ear is done and its just basic shaping and tweaking thats left (which always takes the longest) what was your method? just starting of with a poly primative cube? if so i congratulate you cuase thats some serious workuser added image